KY 256ssi

Prop advice 256ssi

On 9/8/2017 at 10:06 AM, MonkeySeaII said:

i know JC from this forum had 600+ HP on his 256 SSi with a Bravo 1.  He was running right around 70+.  I can't see this hull hitting 80 as it rides way too wet and doesn't have the lift to run that fast.

How do I find JC? I looked up that on members and 124 members have jc in their name. 

On 9/8/2017 at 10:06 AM, MonkeySeaII said:

i know JC from this forum had 600+ HP on his 256 SSi with a Bravo 1.  He was running right around 70+.  I can't see this hull hitting 80 as it rides way too wet and doesn't have the lift to run that fast.

How do I find JC? I looked up that on members and 124 members have jc in their name. 

Try searching for threads containing "NACRU", but I doubt he's checking in here anymore.  He sold his boat long ago.

10 hours ago, KY 256ssi said:

look up jcj256

On 9/8/2017 at 10:48 AM, KY 256ssi said:

I own the boat now and have for a few years. I spoke to JC after buying it and the 70mph was one time in perfect conditions with a tail wind. I have had it best of 64 but normally with a four adults and full gear she runs 58-60. It has a five blade prop and is a little sluggish out of the hole but will cruise at 40 mph at 3000 rpm 

8 hours ago, jason2130 said:

I own the boat now and have for a few years. I spoke to JC after buying it and the 70mph was one time in perfect conditions with a tail wind. I have had it best of 64 but normally with a four adults and full gear she runs 58-60. It has a five blade prop and is a little sluggish out of the hole but will cruise at 40 mph at 3000 rpm 

Haaaaa......Jason has Joe's  256 wipple  :clapsmiley:

Kinda laying low with the "Jason2130" handle secrets out now, upload a picture.....:drink-buddy:

10 hours ago, Toddler said:

Haaaaa......Jason has Joe's  256 wipple  :clapsmiley:

Kinda laying low with the "Jason2130" handle secrets out now, upload a picture.....:drink-buddy:

Yeah. great boat. not good with the picture thing. my only complaint is the tow hook is so low the rope drags in the water. I am considering adding a tower this winter but can not decide on which one

19 hours ago, jason2130 said:

yeah the 70mph was a bit suspect.  None the less cool rig

1 hour ago, soldier4402 said:

yeah the 70mph was a bit suspect.  None the less cool rig

yeah, the 64 mph for me was one time with two adults and half of  tank of fuel. Usually tops out at 59-61 with two adults. I actually think it is way over propped. 3000 rpm 40 mph 3500-3600 50 mph 4300-4400 58-60 depending on wind and trim. wont rev past 4400. 

1 hour ago, jason2130 said:

yeah, the 64 mph for me was one time with two adults and half of  tank of fuel. Usually tops out at 59-61 with two adults. I actually think it is way over propped. 3000 rpm 40 mph 3500-3600 50 mph 4300-4400 58-60 depending on wind and trim. wont rev past 4400. 

hmm.  you could maybe find your way to 5000. But then again a boat like that 60-65 is pretty good.  I remember talking about that boat and the old owner even though 70mph that he claimed was probably wrong.  What drive?  If its a bravo I would think somewhere between 23 and 26P

30 minutes ago, soldier4402 said:

hmm.  you could maybe find your way to 5000. But then again a boat like that 60-65 is pretty good.  I remember talking about that boat and the old owner even though 70mph that we claimed was probably wrong.  What drive?  If its a bravo I would think somewhere between 23 and 26P

bravo one  5 blade Mercury Maximus, 24" pitch  

5 blade might be to much for something like that.  Maybe a 4 blade 25 pitch.  I don't think your over propped to much, but then again what do I know.

If it has a working Revlimiter & it is holding 4400 rpms  before the throttle is fully opened ?  It is UNDER PROPPED.  Not enough load on the engine.

Check somehow if the 4400 is accurate & THE CORRECT LIMIT.  DRIVE TRIM IS SUPER CRITICAL ON SOME HULLS. Both of my 186s with 3 blades.

With the 4 blade PTC props ? Drive up or down makes little speed difference

43 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

If it has a working Revlimiter & it is holding 4400 rpms  before the throttle is fully opened ?  It is UNDER PROPPED.  Not enough load on the engine.

Check somehow if the 4400 is accurate & THE CORRECT LIMIT.  DRIVE TRIM IS SUPER CRITICAL ON SOME HULLS. Both of my 186s with 3 blades.

With the 4 blade PTC props ? Drive up or down makes little speed difference

RPM matches the GPS and the cluster. I do not  feel it is hitting the limiter as much as just running out of $^&.  It climbs slow from 4200 to 4400. It may go slightly higher but I do not want to hold it wide open for more than a minute. I have had trim all over the place and it goes fastest when it is slightly porpoising. Still fun and a great boat. I just wish tow/ski eye was not so low but understand that was the only option with the center walk thru.