Jump to content
KY 256ssi

Prop advice 256ssi

Recommended Posts

On 9/8/2017 at 10:06 AM, MonkeySeaII said:

i know JC from this forum had 600+ HP on his 256 SSi with a Bravo 1.  He was running right around 70+.  I can't see this hull hitting 80 as it rides way too wet and doesn't have the lift to run that fast.

How do I find JC? I looked up that on members and 124 members have jc in their name. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2017 at 10:06 AM, MonkeySeaII said:

i know JC from this forum had 600+ HP on his 256 SSi with a Bravo 1.  He was running right around 70+.  I can't see this hull hitting 80 as it rides way too wet and doesn't have the lift to run that fast.

How do I find JC? I looked up that on members and 124 members have jc in their name. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try searching for threads containing "NACRU", but I doubt he's checking in here anymore.  He sold his boat long ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, KY 256ssi said:

How do I find JC? I looked up that on members and 124 members have jc in their name. 

look up jcj256

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2017 at 10:48 AM, KY 256ssi said:

How do I find JC? I looked up that on members and 124 members have jc in their name. 

I own the boat now and have for a few years. I spoke to JC after buying it and the 70mph was one time in perfect conditions with a tail wind. I have had it best of 64 but normally with a four adults and full gear she runs 58-60. It has a five blade prop and is a little sluggish out of the hole but will cruise at 40 mph at 3000 rpm 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jason2130 said:

I own the boat now and have for a few years. I spoke to JC after buying it and the 70mph was one time in perfect conditions with a tail wind. I have had it best of 64 but normally with a four adults and full gear she runs 58-60. It has a five blade prop and is a little sluggish out of the hole but will cruise at 40 mph at 3000 rpm 

Haaaaa......Jason has Joe's  256 wipple  :clapsmiley:

 

 

Kinda laying low with the "Jason2130" handle secrets out now, upload a picture.....:drink-buddy:

 

 

.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Toddler said:

Haaaaa......Jason has Joe's  256 wipple  :clapsmiley:

 

 

Kinda laying low with the "Jason2130" handle secrets out now, upload a picture.....:drink-buddy:

Yeah. great boat. not good with the picture thing. my only complaint is the tow hook is so low the rope drags in the water. I am considering adding a tower this winter but can not decide on which one

 

 

.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, jason2130 said:

I own the boat now and have for a few years. I spoke to JC after buying it and the 70mph was one time in perfect conditions with a tail wind. I have had it best of 64 but normally with a four adults and full gear she runs 58-60. It has a five blade prop and is a little sluggish out of the hole but will cruise at 40 mph at 3000 rpm 

yeah the 70mph was a bit suspect.  None the less cool rig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soldier4402 said:

yeah the 70mph was a bit suspect.  None the less cool rig

yeah, the 64 mph for me was one time with two adults and half of  tank of fuel. Usually tops out at 59-61 with two adults. I actually think it is way over propped. 3000 rpm 40 mph 3500-3600 50 mph 4300-4400 58-60 depending on wind and trim. wont rev past 4400. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jason2130 said:

yeah, the 64 mph for me was one time with two adults and half of  tank of fuel. Usually tops out at 59-61 with two adults. I actually think it is way over propped. 3000 rpm 40 mph 3500-3600 50 mph 4300-4400 58-60 depending on wind and trim. wont rev past 4400. 

hmm.  you could maybe find your way to 5000. But then again a boat like that 60-65 is pretty good.  I remember talking about that boat and the old owner even though 70mph that he claimed was probably wrong.  What drive?  If its a bravo I would think somewhere between 23 and 26P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, soldier4402 said:

hmm.  you could maybe find your way to 5000. But then again a boat like that 60-65 is pretty good.  I remember talking about that boat and the old owner even though 70mph that we claimed was probably wrong.  What drive?  If its a bravo I would think somewhere between 23 and 26P

bravo one  5 blade Mercury Maximus, 24" pitch  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 blade might be to much for something like that.  Maybe a 4 blade 25 pitch.  I don't think your over propped to much, but then again what do I know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it has a working Revlimiter & it is holding 4400 rpms  before the throttle is fully opened ?  It is UNDER PROPPED.  Not enough load on the engine.

Check somehow if the 4400 is accurate & THE CORRECT LIMIT.  DRIVE TRIM IS SUPER CRITICAL ON SOME HULLS. Both of my 186s with 3 blades.

With the 4 blade PTC props ? Drive up or down makes little speed difference

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

If it has a working Revlimiter & it is holding 4400 rpms  before the throttle is fully opened ?  It is UNDER PROPPED.  Not enough load on the engine.

Check somehow if the 4400 is accurate & THE CORRECT LIMIT.  DRIVE TRIM IS SUPER CRITICAL ON SOME HULLS. Both of my 186s with 3 blades.

With the 4 blade PTC props ? Drive up or down makes little speed difference

RPM matches the GPS and the cluster. I do not  feel it is hitting the limiter as much as just running out of $^&.  It climbs slow from 4200 to 4400. It may go slightly higher but I do not want to hold it wide open for more than a minute. I have had trim all over the place and it goes fastest when it is slightly porpoising. Still fun and a great boat. I just wish tow/ski eye was not so low but understand that was the only option with the center walk thru.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×