Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dougmerr

Volvo Penta DSP Prop Change

7 posts in this topic

Have purchased F3 props as we boat at 6000+ foot elevation and the F5's that were on it struggled to get boat on plane.  Was able to get F5's off  without any issue.  I got the F3 rear on and have it tight (says to torque to 45 ft lbs but don't have a way to really get that exact with current prop tool) but when I put on the front F3 prop it hits the rear prop before I can get bolt tight.  That makes it so the props can't spin.  I have verified the part numbers on the props are 180 degrees apart, the rear nut is tight and nothing works unless I have front nut loose.  I will order new nuts but wanted to know if there was a trick or something I am missing to get rear prop back farther or if that is even my issue?  Thanks so much.

Obviously something is not right and without pictures it's hard to visualize. I have dps so I kinda know what you are saying.  Sounds like the front prop or front prop nut is not tightened down all the way giving enough room for the rear (front towards bow, rear towards stern). I would take both props off and start over. Lube up the shafts well with underwater lube then re install. Trying to seat the front nut further forward using the prop tool. This should give you more room for the rear shaft and nut. 

If you can post some pics it might be helpful. Good luck.

Double check the obvious first:

- props are facing the right way,

- nuts are facing the right way.

For clarity, use boat's view as a reference not your view from behind the boat ... front prop goes first and is closer to boat's front (bow), rear/back prop goes second and is aft (back) from the front prop.

With a peace of wood I was able to snug inner nut more which corrected the problem.   Thanks so much for the replies.

You should have been able to move the prop into final position by hand. If you had to use the nut to move the prop, it might bind with the shaft and be very difficult to take off in the future. I would remove the prop now, inspect what is causing the unexpected friction, lube the shaft and try it again.

Pull it off again. There are probably banged splines on the new prop. Or the prop has dirt / grit jammed into splines.  Pull clean off the grease in the prop splines.  Then clean the valleys & peaks of the splines of  ANY junk. The prop SHOULD ? WILL slide on easily. You may have forcibly shoved crud onto the shaft splines. Clean the shaft splines as best as you can............WITHOUT ANY SOLVENTS.. We used paint brushes repeatedly cleaned in gasoline to remove the greasy splines of the shaft..... We squeezed out excess gasoline on a clean rag to prevent it attacking a out of sight seal........   Is a extra  washer stuck on the front prop ? A extra washer on the shaft ?  We have seen drives or props with extra washers for some reason.

Wingnut & Shepherd can post the correct sequence of parts on the shafts

Volvo Penta web site. The  duo prop shows a spacer ring on the FRONT of the front prop only with F7..F8..F9 props.............I take that to mean your F3 just uses the 2 prop nuts.  The front nut has the nut  threads facing forward to the prop.  Seems very simple in the assembly diagram