Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
all3lemmons

Salt Water

9 posts in this topic

I did a search and didn't find anything. 

I recently sold my Blue Wave and am in the market for a new boat. I was pretty much sold on the 21 H20 Ski and Fish until the salesman at the dealership said "no salt". I know I have seen this type of boat in the salt and based on my search there are other Chaparral models that guys have had in the salt. Is there something about the H20 that makes it not salt water compatible? 

I'm not a "salty", but I would say it should be no problem given the proper water conditions. Make sure you flush your engine and rinse your trailer after each use. I probably wound not recommend dunking the trailer in salt if it is made of steel. It simply won't last long.

There's an aluminum trailer available as an option.  The dealer was probably referring to the boat not having closed cooling.  Not ideal, but...

I am figuring an aluminum or galvanized trailer. Salesman was more referring to th engine/cooling components.

It will be a lake boat but would like to have the option without corroding the cooling system.

10 hours ago, all3lemmons said:

I am figuring an aluminum or galvanized trailer. Salesman was more referring to th engine/cooling components.

It will be a lake boat but would like to have the option without corroding the cooling system.

just have to flush everytime.  Many ocean boats are not closed cooling.  Specially if you are not going to be in salt all the time I would not worry about not having closed cooling.

Sales man is a unreliable , UNTRAINED, Hamburger Flipper.

Talk to the marina service manager & AFTER HIM ? Talk to the sales manager.

DO NOT TALK ANYMORE with the salesman who said .  No salt water

YOU DO NOT have to stay with ANY first or 2nd salesman / woman !!!!!!!!! You ARE NOT expected to stay with anyone you do not want to !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU have the money !!!!!  The purchase should be very sincere & pleasurable.  Like a great first date with a Mistress

For 3 billion boats in 50 years.  Ran in saltwater once in a while. With no fresh water cooling ever being done. Lasted for umpteen years. I can say that honestly at 80 years old.

A Wingnut or Shepherd  recommended clamp on garden hose  cooler clamp will do wonders increase LONG LIFE of modern engines.

If you can afford it ?  A "" Closed fresh water cooling system ""?  Would be the best thing If you suddenly find you have a love of the salt water sights. Year around antifreeze in the engine.  But still have salt water cooling the exhaust system.

Go closed system if you can afford it.   It is only a little more compared to the total cost.

Closed cooling is nice in many ways. It keeps the engine at operating temp a lot more than a raw water cooled system. Much easier to winterize!! In 30 seconds, your done. Than of course,  no raw water though the block, salt OR not.

But yes, its not a deal breaker. Even if you leave it in all summer long in salt water. The bigger problem is, even with lake boats. Once you pull the boat out, the block drains down and now you have air entering in. The air will speed up the corrosion. 

Get the H2O outboard.  They are better in about every way to the inboard option. Also made for salt. Get the 150 or 200hp option.