jackbronson

boat not sitting fully on front rollers of trailer

73 posts in this topic

BIngo  Dennis.  That setup can badly distort the bottom shape of a glass boat.  If the glass never fully cured to hard state.

33 minutes ago, soldier4402 said:

that's the problem its the wrong trailer, has a 3500lb axle.  At best there maybe is 1-200lbs to spare on that trailer that's it.  Only way I would be happy with this trailer is if it was a lot trailer, or trailer used to go a few miles a few times a year.  Ideally after selling or trading this trailer and finding a new or used one the OP probably wouldn't have more than a few grand into something that was more acceptable.  If not I would be doing regular maint checks and greasings to ensure the trailer is operating correctly due to the stress. or try to move it forward and play with moving the roller up front up or down to get a more even load.

Oh boy. Now you've done it...

brick

43 minutes ago, soldier4402 said:

that's the problem its the wrong trailer, has a 3500lb axle.  At best there maybe is 1-200lbs to spare on that trailer that's it.  Only way I would be happy with this trailer is if it was a lot trailer, or trailer used to go a few miles a few times a year.  Ideally after selling or trading this trailer and finding a new or used one the OP probably wouldn't have more than a few grand into something that was more acceptable.  If not I would be doing regular maint checks and greasings to ensure the trailer is operating correctly due to the stress. or try to move it forward and play with moving the roller up front up or down to get a more even load.

I don't believe this trailer has a 3,500 axle, if it did how could it have a 3,600 capacity?  It likely has a 5000 lbs axle as we know the tires are rated for that as a pair.  

5 minutes ago, Dennis A said:

I don't believe this trailer has a 3,500 axle, if it did how could it have a 3,600 capacity?  It likely has a 5000 lbs axle as we know the tires are rated for that as a pair.  

thought the same thing you might be right and if the tires are rated for 2500 a piece.  Either way trailer can carry 3600.  boat weighs almost 3 grand,  fuel, lube, basic safety equipment and nothing else, this thing is getting maxed out.

Good grief.     3600 # on a 3600# RATED trailer is FINE.  Great selection.  Use it in full  confidence.

Otherwise get a triple axle with ?????

21 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Good grief.     3600 # on a 3600# RATED trailer is FINE.  Great selection.  Use it in full  confidence.

Thinking I need to shop a welded steel triple axle with bunks for my 19' bow rider.

Break Out Another Thousand...

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 0:22 PM, cyclops2 said:

considering the boat weighs 3 grand dry.  If your confident with fuel, life jackets, anchors, beer, covers, lines, etc that you only got 600lbs in there, go for it.

On 9/11/2017 at 1:58 PM, sburke91 said:

What's the tongue weight, as currently positioned on the trailer?  That'll tell a good piece of the story alone.

I have the factory manual for the trailer, which indicates 5-7% tongue weight objective.  Trailer weighed 4200 # at scale.  Tongue on bathroom scale is 260 #.  6.2%.  Perfect.

So I moved the winch post forward 3", which puts the rear inside rollers right at the transom, and dropped the bow roller about an inch.  took it out for a ride with the video camera and although it is better, the forward rollers and the second outside rollers are still getting "unloaded" with the bigger bumps.  

honestly, I'm not so sure that it isn't a situation where the rear roller assembly and cross member is flexing, leading the front half of the boat to lift.  I did go on the LoadRite website, use the configuration to spec a trailer, and the results were the same model I have.  and yes, my specs are near the top of the range for this model trailer.

there is a LoadRite dealer in this town, so I'm going to pay them a visit, and I may reach out to LoadRite directly, although I bet they'll just tell me to talk to a dealer.  I am also going to pick up a strap for the bow eye to the frame.

in any case, no long road trips planned and the season is winding down, so I'll have time to think this over while shoveling snow.

thanks to all for the info and advice.

Are you at 6.2% after moving it forward?  5-7% is half the tongue weight I am used to and comfortable with.  My experience with less than 10% is that the trailer sways at highway speeds, cross winds, and less than ideal road conditions.  The other end of the problem with more tongue weight on the tow vehicle is that it takes weight off the steer axle making the steering light.  

When you lowered the bow eye roller did you take it down and raise it up just until it touches the boat?  A bow strap will definately help.  I notice a huge difference on my bunk trailer.  The winch strap does pull the bow down much.

If your stern straps are really tight that can also lift the bow to lift up as well.  Bow strap helps counter that.

6.2% after moving it forward. The 5-7% is right out of the LoadRite manual that came with the boat. I do still think the trailer feels tail heavy but my prior trailer may have had more tongue weight to start with. 

As for the bow roller I lowered it with the boat pulled back and eyeballed it and cranked the boat slowly up to the roller. It's lined up pretty good I think. It's not like it's so high that the boat is being pulled upwards at the bow. It comes up just a bit. 

The other thing is when doing the test drive I'm watching the bow in the rearview and it's not rising up off the roller with the road bumps. 

4 hours ago, jackbronson said:

6.2% after moving it forward. The 5-7% is right out of the LoadRite manual that came with the boat. I do still think the trailer feels tail heavy but my prior trailer may have had more tongue weight to start with. 

As for the bow roller I lowered it with the boat pulled back and eyeballed it and cranked the boat slowly up to the roller. It's lined up pretty good I think. It's not like it's so high that the boat is being pulled upwards at the bow. It comes up just a bit. 

The other thing is when doing the test drive I'm watching the bow in the rearview and it's not rising up off the roller with the road bumps. 

Just watched the first video again and  I think what is happening is after you hit a bump the loaded flexed trailer unloads and the stern rises and the center of the trailer drops away from the boat and the front rollers become unloaded.  Think about the trailer hanging from the boat and attached only at the front and back.  The center of the trailer sags.

did another video today on the way to the boat ramp.  so this is after moving winch post 3" forward and dropping bow roller about 3/4'' and using a strap from bow eye down to trailer.  its a long video (but you can see how long it take me to get to the local ramp).  the right hand turn where the boat unloads from the rollers is at 3:50.

You need more weight on the front Stbrd roller.. Other than that, much better .

Repack your wheel bearings too...

Very neat camera work.  It looks a lot better.  I really think you've got it about as good as you're going to get it with that trailer.  

29 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

You need more weight on the front Stbrd roller.. Other than that, much better .

That's part of the problem. How to get more weight on one roller? Actually the one right behind it is worse you can't see it because of angle of camera. 

21 minutes ago, TNBrett said:

Very neat camera work.  It looks a lot better.  I really think you've got it about as good as you're going to get it with that trailer.  

Thanks. I'm loving the old HD Panasonic handheld. 

You may be right on the trailer. It's a lot quieter now, less rattling. 

I'm going to take one more shot at adjustments. 

1 hour ago, jackbronson said:

That's part of the problem. How to get more weight on one roller? Actually the one right behind it is worse you can't see it because of angle of camera. 

This just came to me. If you move the front starboard roller bracket on the cross member more towards the Keel, it should take more weight. You could alternately move the port side further out. 

I watched your second video. Thanks for moving the winch post forward. What about a heavy duty ratchet strap right across the whole boat left to right? It really works to pull the boat and trailer together.  The U.S. Fish and Wildlife dept. in my area trailer their boats that way. It's the 3 inch wide style strap.

I've considered moving the roller assemblies out, however I think that the hull is thinner and theoretically 'weaker' the further you get from the keel. If that is accurate, I don't want to create a different problem, say, cracked gelcoat on my hull.  Really have to think about that one.

I may move one, as TNBrett suggested.

unfortunately, this annoying responsibility called my job is cutting into my trailer work...

1 hour ago, jackbronson said:

I've considered moving the roller assemblies out, however I think that the hull is thinner and theoretically 'weaker' the further you get from the keel. If that is accurate, I don't want to create a different problem, say, cracked gelcoat on my hull.  Really have to think about that one.

I may move one, as TNBrett suggested.

unfortunately, this annoying responsibility called my job is cutting into my trailer work...

you might have a point, the bottom rollers hold the most weight I would think cant imagine and inch maybe two would do much.  But hey maybe its worthwhile at fabing brackets with bunks.

My 265 weighed 5500 dry and was on rollers trailer was rated for 10k though,  no real bounce.  But loading a 27ft boat with rollers biggest PITA.  Your boat is probably the longest that I would like to deal with when it comes to rollers.

For the sake of the argument how far do you tow anyways.

1 hour ago, soldier4402 said:

you might have a point, the bottom rollers hold the most weight I would think cant imagine and inch maybe two would do much.  But hey maybe its worthwhile at fabing brackets with bunks.

My 265 weighed 5500 dry and was on rollers trailer was rated for 10k though,  no real bounce.  But loading a 27ft boat with rollers biggest PITA.  Your boat is probably the longest that I would like to deal with when it comes to rollers.

For the sake of the argument how far do you tow anyways.

I would check the starboard side forward roller. On the video it appears to have a lot of "wobble".

brick