Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TahoeThor

Vortex 243

10 posts in this topic

I have over 20 hours on my 2017 Vortex and the max RPMs have never increased since day 1.  I am getting 5600-5800 out of twin 200s with a max speed of 30-31 mph.  Called my dealer today and he claimed that was typical for the elevation at Tahoe (6,200 feet).  My research shows differently.  

any advice?

If the dealer says that's the way it is and you disagree, probably not much choice other than to take it down in elevation and see what it does.    Probably not a lot of data on them at that high of an elevation.  A local lake is around 2500 ft elevation.   The dealers mostly stick boats with the big engine options.  A friend just bought a new 24' boat with the 350hp Mercury.   He only gets 41 mph. 

A normally aspirated engines looses about 3% of its power for every 1000 feet of elevation. So you would be down 18+ %.  

If the engine is supercharged or turbo charged the loss is minimized. 

brick

I just read somewhere that someone was at Tahoe with a vortex and was getting up to 41 or so top speed.  Not sure if it was 200's or 250's.  If you are up there at all times, I would talk to a rotax person and see if it can be re-tuned for the high elevation.

Firstly, thanks to all three for the feedback.

i would expect some degradation in horse power from the altitude but what I think has happened is the electronically governed break-in period has for some reason never kicked off.  Pretty sure the super chargers have never activated.  There has been zero increase in power from hour 1 to hour 20,  was told to expect a boost in power after 8 hours.   I read of someone else having the same issue and it turned out to be a software problem.  The Medallion Viper II seems to have a ghost in the machine.  Will have the dealer scan it next week and hopefully find an answer.  I sure wish Chap had a customer service line for these types of questions.  Do they even check these forums?

Thanks again,

T

The supercharger is always "on".  Sounds like a glitch. The dealer should be able to figure it out. 

brick

7 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

Some dealers sell boats.............. Period.

Agreed. Hopefully his dealer will assist and figure out what is wrong. 

brick

I used to have the 223VR with twin 200's and at sea level max rpm was 7,800 (55 mph), but during the 8 hour run in period the max rpm was around the 5,800rpm range with a similar speed to what you are getting, but once past 8 hours all the restrictions were off, i'm very surprised you didnt get any noticeable change.

A rough rule of thumb I was given for an engine at altitude is it loses around 3% of its power per 1,000 rpm so you would likely be around 20% down, but I would expect the superchargers would help at altitude ? , hopefully there are some pilots on here that may have experience of that.

A jet pump drive usually does not have a big selection of pump blades for higher altitudes. I did a quick check of losses. Might not be correct way. 20 % of 7800 rpms is 1,560 rpm loss.  So 7800 rpms - 1560 is 6,240 rpms.  That seems far enough away from the result you get. Call Vortex directly. Only sure information. Might have a pump exchange for your height. Maybe a freebe if the dealer DID NOT specify the optional pump.