love2boat

GPS for 1999 2130 SS Sport

5 posts in this topic

Hello fellow boaters. I want to put a marine GPS unit on my 1999 2130 SS Sport. So far I like the Raymarine Dragonfly 5M (No Sonar) because of it's size, mount type and no sonar. My question is about the mounting location. I'm not exactly sure where on the dash (Or maybe somewhere else) would be the best place to mount GPS. The dash has limited space to begin with. I don't want to drill holes in the dash without being absolutely sure about the positioning and possible interference with other components under the dash. Does anyone out there have a 1999 2130 that they have a GPS unit mounted to? If so, your insight (Do's and don'ts) as it relates to mounting location would be greatly appreciated.

Me, I would mount it as in line with my view of the water. You don't want to be looking down. Some where so you can glance at it.

Personal, I like Garmin, I had a Raymarine and went back to Garmin. I would get the one with sonar, its short money not to have it. 

Thanks Iggy. Do you happen to have any pictures of your Garmin mount with and without the Garmin unit attached? If so, please send. There are so many choices out there, I want to get it right (As much as possible). Thanks.

1 hour ago, love2boat said:

Thanks Iggy. Do you happen to have any pictures of your Garmin mount with and without the Garmin unit attached? If so, please send. There are so many choices out there, I want to get it right (As much as possible). Thanks.

I have a Sig 290, my helm would be a lot bigger. I am using 2 Garmin 741s with sonar and radar. 

Got ya. I do appreciate your advise. I'm going to keep using paper charts for now until I get this sorted out between GPS product, Sonar/no Sonar, mounting location, mount type, etc.I don't want to make a several hundred dollar mistake or make holes in a perfectly good helm when there is a better solution.