Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jet Pilot

Medallion display failure

4 posts in this topic

• Hi. I've just bought a 2015 VRX 223 with 50 hours on the engines. Fantastic boat, effortless power and runs like a dream.

However, the Medallion touchscreen partially works and shows obvious signs of damage around the edges of the display (see photo). 

The main display of engine rpms and speed etc works, and the color and associated graphics on the main page are crystal clear. None of the other 'pages' are available. Most of the tabs do not respond to touch, including ski, eco and dock modes. The tabs that do respond to touch open up but the relevant page itself is useless and cannot function in any way, including the music page.

I'd like to know if anyone has seen this type of failure on a Medallion touchscreen before? Is it water damage, heat damage or a combination of both? I'd like to know so as to avoid having to fork out another $1000+ again in a couple of years time for another replacement unit should the new one (if I ever get it - see below) suffer the same fate.

I've called Medallion numerous times, sent several emails with the photo, but no one seems the slightest bit interested in helping me (or Medallion themselves) understand the problem.

I've spoken with Chaparral but they seem totally disinterested and trying to get a replacement unit has been an extremely frustrating experience so far - 3 days already of calls between dealer and Chaparral and zero progress. (However, completely understandable if they've been badly affected by the flooding).

Medallion.jpg

It did work. The boat had hardly been used in the year before I bought it. There is no warranty as far as I'm aware and I've been very clear with everyone I've spoken with that the warranty as far as I'm concerned is not an issue and I will be paying for the replacement Medallion. As much as I'd love to not have to fork out a large wedge of cash I'm more interested in understanding why this unit failed in the manner that it did so that it won't happen to me or anyone else again. 

Since posting I have to say a huge thankyou to the fellow at Chaperral who got in touch with me. I'm not sure if he wants his name posted on here but he knows who he is and he's been really helpful. And I probably should admit that I might have been a bit harsh with my comments regarding the dealer - it turns out if anything I was more at fault than anyone else (email issues) and I've subsequently realised it was hasty of me to suggest they were 'disinterested'. 

I guess I became frustrated at the, lets say, 'convoluted' process of getting a spare part but now that I understand and, more importantly, accept the process all is well.