brick

Irma

5 posts in this topic

Hurricane Irma has devastated much of South and West Florida. We were very lucky here in Peachtree City GA, with only a few trees down and power outages. My 220SSi is safe and dry in the boat garage. It could have been much worse. We got our son out of Orlando, and his condo has power and no storm damage. We have much to be thankful for, and realize others have lost everything. Sad.

I hope everyone is OK. If you have been affected, check in and tell us how you are doing.

brick

I was lucky not to have to deal with this latest natural disaster. My prayers are with everyone who is going through it.

Best wishes everyone! Stay safe.

I have a good friend who's a member of the Key West Yacht Club.  He and his wife rode it out at a Cat 5 house on the Key.   I only got one message back from him after the storm -- he had called his sister-in-law in Houston on a borrowed satellite phone the day after Irma went through.  He's ok, but lots of destruction.  this site has good pictures. scroll left and right to see the differences.  What is most notable is the thinned out tree cover.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/09/12/these-before-and-after-satellite-photos-show-irmas-devastating-destruction-florida-and-caribbean/657073001/

My sister is currently in Pembroke Pines (just outside Miami).  She, her husband, and their 4 small children rode out the storm at home.  They were pretty well prepared, and outside the mandatory evacuation areas.  They came through with just some minor roof damage, and a couple of trees down around the neighborhood.   She was sure giving my mother fits though.   

I live in N.Miami

We left town and headed to Brandon about 10 miles east of Tampa.

So the storm changes direction.

We leave Brandon and head to Orlando to stay with friends, this worked out ok.

We came home Wed and the condo was dry( I live half a block from the ICW).

The boat was still in its rack.

We had no power, so we grabbed a flight to Illinois to visit the grandkids.

We got back yesterday, I cleaned the boat up today and tomorrow we cruise!