Cazzy

Engine paint

17 posts in this topic

I notice a lot of black rubber residue all over the front of the engine(4.3 Volvo) on my 2013 196ssi. Only 25hrs on it and immaculate, but the black stuff has covered the power steering fluid reservoir and other things. The belt looks fine but I did notice the pulley is covered in rust color and the black paint is gone on the pulley. 

Any suggestions? Should I somehow repaint the pulley?

Thanks 

The belt may look fine i.e. no cracks, or frays, but can be badly worn in the ribs.  With 25 hours in 5 years, my guess is that there was some surface rust on the crank pulley from sitting.  When it was started, the rust was like fine sandpaper on the belt.  I'd replace the belt, and while its off make sure all the pulleys are clean and smooth.  Also check that all idlers, tensioners, and accessories turn freely with out excess play.  I don't think any paint should be needed, as I doubt anything from a spray can would hold up anyway. 

Need to do a slightly dangerous check while the engine is running during bright sunny day with engine cover up.  2 people 1 drives. other is watching the engine for a VERY VERY fine water spray / misting.  do about 4 different angles to the sun position. stopping about every 90 degrees.  run the engine up to about 4,000 rpms for 5 seconds.  That will help you to see it better. I have found 2 leaks that way on 1 boat.  both were cheap repairs.

1 hour ago, cyclops2 said:

Need to do a slightly dangerous check while the engine is running during bright sunny day with engine cover up.  2 people 1 drives. other is watching the engine for a VERY VERY fine water spray / misting.  do about 4 different angles to the sun position. stopping about every 90 degrees.  run the engine up to about 4,000 rpms for 5 seconds.  That will help you to see it better. I have found 2 leaks that way on 1 boat.  both were cheap repairs.

???Huh?

1 hour ago, Dennis A said:

???Huh?

3 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Hi cyclops2,

Is your advice about my post(serpentine belt)? or for another thread? Just not sure as I have No water leaks or any leaks of any kind. The power steering reservoir has black residue and belt pulley has service rust with paint gone now from moisture and salt air. Only 25hrs. 

Sounds like a pulley out of alignment, or a rusted pulley wearing the belt. It will not likely get better on its own, and could leave you stranded one day. Check everything over to find the cause and carry a spare belt and tools until it is fixed. 

Or join Sea Tow...

brick

7 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

???Huh?

So it's not just me

Ignore the purple one. I suspect he drinks heavily at times.

I agree with a possible alignment issue. 

As others have said, check for misalignment and corrosion, but also check tension.  A belt that is too loose and slipping will leave dust as well.

I've talked to a couple shops and advised the tension is good, belt has no cracks or damage anywhere. They both told me belt residue is normal and where the paint is now off the pulley it's gripping a bit harder.(wearing a little diff due to the rust surface not being as smooth as painted) Nothing to worry about but I purchased a spare belt just in case. 

37 minutes ago, Cazzy said:

I've talked to a couple shops and advised the tension is good, belt has no cracks or damage anywhere. They both told me belt residue is normal and where the paint is now off the pulley it's gripping a bit harder. Nothing to worry about but I purchased a spare belt just in case. 

EPDM belts are extremely resistant to cracking and therefore not a good indicator of belt condition. A gauge to measure the v-rib depth is necessary to determine if a belt needs replacing.  A worn belt will slip under normal tension.

The dust material came from somewhere.

I agree.  Id rather change it in the driveway under my own terms, than bobbing around in the middle of the lake.  Keep the old one as a spare.  Checking everything with the belt off will give you even greater peace of mind.  

30_213_148_how_to_identify_worn_belt.png

I`ve had the same issue. All belts will wear over time, think about how much and how fast they travel. As others have mentioned check tension and alignment. The pulley is removable and can be repainted if needed.

Thanks Chap243. Going to do that I think. I just need to know the torque value for the pulley bolts and if I should put anything on them(anti seize). 

5 hours ago, Cazzy said:

Thanks Chap243. Going to do that I think. I just need to know the torque value for the pulley bolts and if I should put anything on them(anti seize). 

I put anti sieze on mine when I reinstalled in anticipation of having to repaint again in the future or someday having to replace the circulating pump. I just tightened as tight as I could go with a 3/8 socket. So far they have stayed tight. The hardest part was keeping the pulley from turning while trying to tighten the bolts.