Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alex Stein

Chaparral Vortex 203 VRX Electrical Issue with, Electric Fuse, Bilge Pump and Alternator

4 posts in this topic

I have a 2018 Chaparral Vortex 203 VRX that I purchased in June 2017.   In August I discovered that both of my batteries were getting fully discharged after after the boat would sit on a lift for 4-5 days.  I recharged the battery with charger I bought in the Walmart and in 2 days they got discharged again. Then the engine light came on...  I took the boat to the dealer - the Advanced Marina of Ocean City, MD - and they detected that an electric fuse for the bilge pump got blown and as a result there were some water - a few gallons - on the bottom of the engine compartment which seems to have affected the alternator (which would explain why batteries were loosing its power). The bilge pump seems to have been not pumping water out as a result and somehow also causing the batteries to discharge.  While I always turn the batteries switch to the zero position (OFF), the bilge pump is connected to the battery directly.

The dealer ordered parts that are needed for repairs and will check with Chaparral if these repairs would be covered by Chaparral as a warranty items since there was a defective electric fuse that caused the further damage to the bilge and alternator.  Meanwhile, I don't have my brand new boat now for two weeks of our pretty short boating season of 12-16 weeks as it sits in the dealer's repair facility waiting for parts.

Has anyone discovered this issue with the bilge pump and failed electric fuses?  

I will update you all on whether Chaparral agreed to cover these repairs under the warranty.

Cheers.

Alex.

29 minutes ago, Alex Stein said:

While I always turn the batteries switch to the zero position (OFF), the bilge pump is connected to the battery directly.

As it should be ... otherwise you would have a wet alternator anytime it rains or boat takes water while docked. There might be other circuits connected directly to the batteries on your boat.

Here is an update: On 09/21/17, the dealer - Advanced Marina of Ocean City, MD - informed me that fixing the issue requires special tools/parts and they ordered them, but these tools/parts are back ordered and are not projected to be shipped until 10/06/17.  This would make my boat sitting at the dealer repair shop since 09/05/17 (5 weeks) and there is no certainty how soon after the 10/06/17 the boat will be ready.  I think the dealer is doing everything they can, but the BRP and or Chaparral supplying parts to repair the issue is disappointing as I don't have the boat for 5 weeks out of the short 12-16 week season and it's a brand new boat that I purchased on 06/30/17. 

The issue seem to have been caused by a leak that was introduced when the impeller was replaced in August with a new one (due to getting too much sand from shallow waters into the jet impeller section and wear, both had to be replaced (at my cost at that time).  As the water from the leak was getting in the boat, it affected the bilge pump system and probably caused the electric fuse to get blown and then created an issue for the bilge pump issue and caused the alternator to stop charging the batteries (perhaps due to water leaking into the boat when it was in use on the water).

I will keep you updated on the progress.

Just an FYI. That Walmart charger, if its a car charger than its not ignition proof. I would not use it in the engine compartment.

Also, car chargers are poorly isolated. If you use it in the water, you could have corrosion problems due to stray currents.