JQP

Inner hull cracks at the stern.

24 posts in this topic

I'm looking at a 2000, 240 SSI to purchase.

The boat is in good overall condition. 

I found 2 cracks at the stern in the engine compartment. They are in the fiberglass coating that was troweled on the interior of this area at the seam of the junction of the transom and the bottom of the hull. I have pictures but I don't see a way of posting them on this forum. I don't think they are structural but want to be sure Before I purchase this boat!   Anyone have a situation like this?

I had the same sort of cracks on my Sea Ray. Turned out the stringer was flexing due to rot which also caused the cracks. Tread carefully and pics would definitely help.

1 hour ago, drewm3i said:

I had the same sort of cracks on my Sea Ray. Turned out the stringer was flexing due to rot which also caused the cracks. Tread carefully and pics would definitely help.

+1.  Typically not good considering the location

A good survey can help also there placesthat can tell you the moisture in the hull Goodluck 

9 hours ago, wijeff said:

A good survey can help also there placesthat can tell you the moisture in the hull Goodluck 

Moisture in the Hull isn't an issue: Chaps aren't cored, however the stringers are and that is the problem and without drilling you can't tell for sure. A hammer can help. Hollow=bad, solid= good. 

On 9/18/2017 at 0:48 AM, drewm3i said:

Moisture in the Hull isn't an issue: Chaps aren't cored, however the stringers are and that is the problem and without drilling you can't tell for sure. A hammer can help. Hollow=bad, solid= good. 

How's your restore project going with the Sea Ray?

On 9/19/2017 at 4:01 PM, AquaTherapy said:

How's your restore project going with the Sea Ray?

Thanks for asking :beer-7687-1:, but ugh :(. About done with engines and outdrives. Have to finish grinding once it cools off down here and then I can put it back together. ETA is probably 4-6 months. To be honest, we are actually thinking about selling it when done to buy a sail boat to liveaboard and cruise the Caribbean any chance we get. We shall see.

7 hours ago, drewm3i said:

Thanks for asking :beer-7687-1:, but ugh :(. About done with engines and outdrives. Have to finish grinding once it cools off down here and then I can put it back together. ETA is probably 4-6 months. To be honest, we are actually thinking about selling it when done to buy a sail boat to liveaboard and cruise the Caribbean any chance we get. We shall see.

good luck and sounds like fine.  Known a few people and have seen the liveaboard thing, always interested me.  Not something I think I could do forever but might be a fun thing to do for a part of my life.  My only issue was finding something big enough with enough amenities to make me happy.  I have a 40foot fifth wheel and even that feels cramped from time to time.

Yep, so far we've been looking at newer 40-45' boats for the most part. Figured we will probably go with a sloop production boat. Don't really want an old full-keeled pig that is harder to sail. Interested especially in the Beneteau 411 and 423. Also like the Jeanneau 43 DS. 

56 minutes ago, drewm3i said:

Yep, so far we've been looking at newer 40-45' boats for the most part. Figured we will probably go with a sloop production boat. Don't really want an old full-keeled pig that is harder to sail. Interested especially in the Beneteau 411 and 423. Also like the Jeanneau 43 DS. 

Unfortunately, there will be a lot of boats for sale after Irma and Maria...

brick

3 hours ago, drewm3i said:

Good luck and enjoy really think it out.  I spend 40-50 nights a year in our fifth wheel camping and to be honest at times I cant see doing it full time due the storage of all my things,  house sized appliances, showers, kitchens, that sort of a thing,  so choose wisely like I said it seems fun but after a while in something that equates to a few hundred square feet at best, the walls start coming in, lol.  But with a boat you have the ability for adventure, definitely seems fun.

2 hours ago, brick said:

Unfortunately, there will be a lot of boats for sale after Irma and Maria...

brick

Indeed, but not as many as you'd think. The ones around here I know of, all survived. 

49 minutes ago, soldier4402 said:

Good luck and enjoy really think it out.  I spend 40-50 nights a year in our fifth wheel camping and to be honest at times I cant see doing it full time due the storage of all my things,  house sized appliances, showers, kitchens, that sort of a thing,  so choose wisely like I said it seems fund but after a while in something that equates to a few hundred square feet at best, the walls start coming in, lol.  But with a boat you have the ability for adventure, definitely seems fun.

Thanks man. We are young and used to small living quarters. One of these modern boats with a good size galley and master cabin should be a nice condo. And yes, the ability to explore and go wherever cannot be understated.

16 minutes ago, drewm3i said:

Thanks man. We are young and used to small living quarters. One of these modern boats with a good size galley and master cabin should be a nice condo. And yes, the ability to explore and go wherever cannot be understated.

Now is the time to do it,  still young 30's but young 20s  new in careers is the time to do it.  Get older, more responsibilities, kids possibly, better jobs it will be harder to do something like that trust  me. 

One thing to keep in mind and I did pretty good in my 20's but wish I was a little smarter is don't throw your future on toys and adventure,  everybody is going to get old some day and want to retire, might get sick, have kids all of that, just be sure your planning for the future, time you can not get back when building your retirement.

21 minutes ago, soldier4402 said:

Now is the time to do it,  still young 30's but young 20s  new in careers is the time to do it.  Get older, more responsibilities, kids possibly, better jobs it will be harder to do something like that trust  me. 

One thing to keep in mind and I did pretty good in my 20's but wish I was a little smarter is don't throw your future on toys and adventure,  everybody is going to get old some day and want to retire, might get sick, have kids all of that, just be sure your planning for the future, time you can not get back when building your retirement.

Yep, this is all sound advice and much to consider. Personally, we do not plan to have kids at all so that would change things a little. We also don't value material things as much as most Americans and will generally probably blaze our own trail a little bit. Long term we will probably get a small place and then keep our boat somewhere around the world based on where we make it to that season. Thinking about becoming a college professor as history, philosophy, science, and literature are my passions in addition to boating and exploring the natural world. So yes, a lot to consider. Don't really buy into the work like a slave until you retire and can then relax before you die. My uncle was like that...made a fortune, but worked like a dog and died before he could really enjoy it because he neglected his health. It's a shame, but anyway. :beer-7687-1:

15 hours ago, drewm3i said:

Yep, this is all sound advice and much to consider. Personally, we do not plan to have kids at all so that would change things a little. We also don't value material things as much as most Americans and will generally probably blaze our own trail a little bit. Long term we will probably get a small place and then keep our boat somewhere around the world based on where we make it to that season. Thinking about becoming a college professor as history, philosophy, science, and literature are my passions in addition to boating and exploring the natural world. So yes, a lot to consider. Don't really buy into the work like a slave until you retire and can then relax before you die. My uncle was like that...made a fortune, but worked like a dog and died before he could really enjoy it because he neglected his health. It's a shame, but anyway. :beer-7687-1:

sounds like you got a good head on your shoulders and good luck.  Just remember nothing ever works out as planned and always be financially sound.  When I was 23 years old I was bombing around Iraq as a platoon leader for 15 months,  10-12 years later I got a family and live half way across the country from where I grew up, doing something totally different than I thought. 

Do it! I spent 8 years sailing the islands and never regretted doing it. I had a 42' Choy Lee and it was a great stable boat with plenty of room for 2 people. 

Beneteau and Jeanneau  make fine boats as well. Something to consider to help keep the cost down. A lot of Charter companies use Beneteaus and they cycle them out of the fleet after about 5 years. You can find some good deals. The life of a Charter boat can be rough but i've seen a few that simply needed some cosmetic work. 

Dalai Lama......and when asked what surprises him the most in a recent interview, he offered this insightful response:

“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

1 hour ago, RoyR said:

Dalai Lama......and when asked what surprises him the most in a recent interview, he offered this insightful response:

“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

Lots of wisdom in those words right there!

1 hour ago, Phillbo said:

Do it! I spent 8 years sailing the islands and never regretted doing it. I had a 42' Choy Lee and it was a great stable boat with plenty of room for 2 people. 

Beneteau and Jeanneau  make fine boats as well. Something to consider to help keep the cost down. A lot of Charter companies use Beneteaus and they cycle them out of the fleet after about 5 years. You can find some good deals. The life of a Charter boat can be rough but i've seen a few that simply needed some cosmetic work. 

That's awesome! The charter boats are definitely reasonable, but after Irma will be harder to come by (Virgin islands charter fleet is gone). They also generally don't  have the owners layout we would want to be cozy. Can I PM you for more info about your 8 year journey?

3 hours ago, drewm3i said:

That's awesome! The charter boats are definitely reasonable, but after Irma will be harder to come by (Virgin islands charter fleet is gone). They also generally don't  have the owners layout we would want to be cozy. Can I PM you for more info about your 8 year journey?

The smaller charter companies would have had owner layouts, but they are typically just managing them for... owners. So they don't get cycled out.

But I did write "would have had" because you're right: all the charter fleets are gone in both VIs. Terrible loss there. BVI could keep you entertained for months before sailing down island...