BestKeptSecret

Upgrading sounds system on 2005 Sig 31

7 posts in this topic

Looking for some sound advice!

Just purchased a 2005 31 Signature and I am looking to upgrade the sound system.

More specifically, the head unit, remotes (helm/transom) and speakers on the sides of the arch.

I would also like to add a amp, sub-woofer and two exterior speakers somewhere on the aft so that we can hear the music while hanging out behind the boat.

I saw a previous thread on this topic but it was an older post. Wondering if anyone has any experience with a similar year/model?

Curious where others have put the sub-woofer on deck as well as the exterior speakers. Also wondering what head units and remotes others have had success with?

Thanks in advance!!

For your rear speakers, I would put them directly behind the rear seat.  Behind that seat should be the trunk area of your boat that you access from your swim platform.  That way you can easily run the wires into your engine compartment to your amp.  As for the Subwoofer, there's not a great place on deck to put one to be honest with you.  Unless you have one custom built to fit inside/under your passenger seat. 

when placing these things I always walk through the layout a few times before buying anything.  I want to ensure I get the easiest route for wires and mounting so I don't have to cut to much or modify.  Head unit if its inside the cabin I have never worried about a marine one and been fine.  On three boats I have always cut holes into the seats and mounted and been happy with it, just be sure before your cut you look at it structurally and whats behind it.

What model (size and shape) are the current remotes? This will help in suggesting a model that will best fit or cover the existing footprint. Although I agree that a head unit down in the salon does not need to be marine, wanting wired remotes, will most likely steer you to a marine head by default. 

You have 3 basic woofer paths to follow. 1) direct radiating infinite-baffle (free air). no means to place an enclosure behind the woofer, so the boat cavity becomes the enclosure. 2) direct radiating but access to place an enclosure behind the woofer. 3) woofer in enclosure placed in locker/storage but with grill placed to vent woofer output into cabin. The last 2 will likely require a custom build enclosure that fits both the woofer and the boat. All 3 options are going to drive the woofer size and type, as well as the enclosure. No easy or quick answers. 

Depending on the total number of speakers, you are looking at maybe a single 8 chnl amp or 6 chnl for the full range and amp for woofer. 

I would suggest a means of zone volume control for the transom and cabin speakers. This allows those in those zones, to control their volume independent of each other. Much more user friendly then having all speakers playing at head unit level. 

2 hours ago, Exoset said:

Just received my MS-AV 755 Fusion Headunit, I previously owned a 700i and I have to say... that's a #$^% of a piece of tech, if you are on the market for the high end Headunit available, I think this is the one or at least one on the top ;)

https://www.fusionentertainment.com/marine/products/stereo-units/ms-av755

I installed my Fusion 700 a few years back. The best thing a ever did for sound. Solid, easy to use and to wire. 

Just redid whole sound system on my 330. I can save you the hassle of guessing and trying things out to see what works. Just shoot me a pm. You dont need to break the bank to get good sound. Depends on what you are looking for.........a loud clear sounding system with good bass response ...........or a pumping system that will vibrate you windshield loose and kill your batteries in 2 hours lol. I went the clear and loud system route. Placement of the speakers is key to get a full sound.