ERNIE G

hats off to chaparral

17 posts in this topic

so i purchased a 2017 223 VRX on may 20. rained a lot may & almost every other day.left at dealer, penny-bridge in stony point n.y for a week to check it all out being its over an hour from my house. complained what i was getting water in the bilge ,not alot but always water.taking it out would maybe pump out 1-2 qt of water from pump.they checked it out could not find any leaks must be all the rain. toke it to the lake(swinging bridge in Monticello ,n.y.)  for two days.still getting water.called them up. bring it right back they said,how could this be, we will get this addressed.after a couple of days the found water seeping into the engine comp. slowly but surely through the heat sink plate seals under the port Eng. to make a long story short once apart they found a separation between the gel coat & fiberglass. the owner  ( jenny ) called me & told me to lesson to her closely. we have 4 options.she has been in contact with chaparral  to repair this, would take over 80 hours of labor( through an independent shop)  or  through chaparral 2 to 3 months at there factory or ask for your money back or the option i want to make them do. put you in another boat because the summer will be over by the time u would get it back.make it happen i said ;  they got me the same boat in two weeks with over 3,k extra in options.way to go chaparral.

oh ya and this one doesn't leak !!!!!

That is fantastic to hear!!  I am picking up my brand new 2018 264 Sunesta next Wednesday and I am so happy to hear that Chaparral stands behind their products 

I'd say hats off to your dealer.   I bet that whole transaction is costing them money.  Someone has to buy that boat after it gets repaired.  Good chance they own your old boat now and not Chaparral. 

9 hours ago, Bt Doctur said:

sounds like a great dealer but surprising the factory dropped the ball

not me from everything you've been reading.

Given all the sketchy dealer stories that get posted here, it's great to hear stories like this, where a dealer is stepping up to support their customers.

6 minutes ago, sburke91 said:

Given all the sketchy dealer stories that get posted here, it's great to hear stories like this, where a dealer is stepping up to support their customers.

Agreed. I have often posted here about the great service I get from my dealer, Huggins Outboard in Albany GA.  A good dealer is as important as a good brand of boat. 

brick

I bought my first Chap from Pennybridge in 2004.

There were two guys were always very helpful( actually they all were), does JD or Matt still work there?

I believe Steve and Rick , previous owners retired.

Yep - if you had to deal with Chaparral - you'd be in pain - your dealer is the magic here!

Chaparral is no better or worse than other manufacturers.( I am not commending Chaparral))

They push all the service on to the dealer.

So as mentioned on a previous thread a dealer does not like servicing boats bought elsewhere.

I've talked with Penny Bridge few times over the years when I was looking for a Chap and again when I was looking to upgrade. Nice people. 

8 hours ago, jeffk said:

Chaparral is no better or worse than other manufacturers.( I am not commending Chaparral))

They push all the service on to the dealer.

Same as when you buy a car. Dealer looks after all issues. 

brick

18 hours ago, brick said:

Same as when you buy a car. Dealer looks after all issues. 

brick

pretty much.  And you would have to think the factory gave some credit if not full credit to the dealer for the bad boat.  If its a big dealer they got a rep to maintain so eating some cost even if they did probably benefits them

gentleman chaparral took back the boat & my dealer ( jenny from penny bridge in Stonypoint n.y.) located another boat ( same color) from another chaparral dealer. chaparral then purchased that boat from that dealer to give to me.they had it delivered to my dealer to re-prep. Chaparral paid for the registration transfer everything  etc... I was with out a boat for  just over 3 weeks. for compensation this boat had almost 3,k extra in options.i am sure the dealer did good and fought for me to make this happen.they are a small family run dealer & have been in operation for 7 years.sometimes smaller is better. they did great by me.....

think about it they proposed the above to me!!!  they were smart .Otherwise anyone would of said take this boat & stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

Edited by ERNIE G
add on

My dealer, Cecil Marine, Williamstown, NJ also intervened on my behalf with Chap relative to a replacement part. I would agree that the relationship the dealer has with Chap buy them both credibility and enhanced service.  W