ianp811@yahoo.com

Sheen in water after running

10 posts in this topic

Anyone know why I'm getting a sheen near the back of my boat when stopping?  Bellows and prop were changed this year but I just started to notice it.  Trim/tilt?

IMG_1265.JPG

I guess the obvious response would be to check your fluid levels as well as for water contamination (i.e. milky).  Maybe chime in with your engine/drive combo as well.

Before we put our boat into the water this season, I noticed a few drops of oil on the ground under the drive.  I found one of the hoses to the trim/lift cylinders had a small leak.  It wouldn't take but a drop to make the sheen you are seeing.

Check trim and outdrive levels. Either is the most likely source. 

brick

keep an eye on the drive oil level.  Had this happen in the past and it was a seal in the outdrive that had a slight leak.

If I find a suspect drive seal leak, I remove the drive, drain it dry, and both pressure test it with air, and test it again at full vacuum. If gauge indication shows a leak I can't actually see or hear, I dump the drive into a water bath to locate the offender. As others have said, you may also find a leak in the trim system, but those are usually easier to find visually. An internal engine issue could also displace oil into the water, but these failures are usually accompanied by smoke upon initial start-up. W

I also suspect drive oil leak, though check your trim ram hose connections first as they do loosen up and leak.

On 9/23/2017 at 1:53 PM, Dennis A said:

How is the engine running?  If running rich you will get a sheen.  

Yes, this too. So either gear oil, trim fluid, or unburned fuel.