Jonny40QBH

OK.. THAT was expensive!!!

28 posts in this topic

I am taking delivery of my first boat this coming Wednesday.  I am so excited I can't even sleep.  2018 264 Sunesta.  So today I went to West Marine to get some lines, fenders, binoculars, a couple of inflateable PFD's and a couple other odds and ends. NOTHING extraordinary.  Even after my new boater 6% discount, the total was still $848.  WOW!!  This is going to be an expensive hobby!  Still EXCITED and what the heck coffins don't have pockets so you might as well spend it!

9 minutes ago, Auggie said:

I'd like to see the shock on his face when he finds out exactly just how big that tank is too:D

... and mpg and/or gph numbers ... how does 2.5 mpg on a good day sound?

Sounds better than what I get on my twin 5.7's but I cannot say I'm not okay with it because this boat has brought us a lot of fun

27 minutes ago, Auggie said:

I'd like to see the shock on his face when he finds out exactly just how big that tank is too:D

I own a 40' Diesel pusher Motorcoach..  Fuel will definitely NOT shock me..  

20 minutes ago, Richard W said:

... and mpg and/or gph numbers ... how does 2.5 mpg on a good day sound?

I get 6.5 in my motorcoach towing... again, not shocking me..  $60 for one fender..THAT shocked me

19 minutes ago, Jonny40QBH said:

I own a 40' Diesel pusher Motorcoach..  Fuel will definitely NOT shock me..  

At least you'll be prepared and thats a good thing

welcome to the world of boating!  Nothing is cheap!  And just wait, the more you get into it, the more you want to buy!  There's always some new gadget that you "just have to have"!!:)

It's all about timing.  When gear's on sale, you can pick it up for 40-60% off, sometimes even more.  It never seems to be on sale when you need it in a pinch though :)

On 9/23/2017 at 5:47 PM, Jonny40QBH said:

I am taking delivery of my first boat this coming Wednesday.  I am so excited I can't even sleep.  2018 264 Sunesta.  So today I went to West Marine to get some lines, fenders, binoculars, a couple of inflateable PFD's and a couple other odds and ends. NOTHING extraordinary.  Even after my new boater 6% discount, the total was still $848.  WOW!!  This is going to be an expensive hobby!  Still EXCITED and what the heck coffins don't have pockets so you might as well spend it!

You went to the most expensive place in the world!  Try Defender.com is just one of many good placed to shop.

First lesson= only go to West marine when you are working on your boat on the weekend and desperately need a bolt, bellows adhesive, or a fuel line to finish your job. Otherwise, stick to Walmart and online shopping.

7 hours ago, drewm3i said:

First lesson= only go to West marine when you are working on your boat on the weekend and desperately need a bolt, bellows adhesive, or a fuel line to finish your job. Otherwise, stick to Walmart and online shopping.

+1

Yep, as others have mentioned, there are lots of online vendors that can save you a lot of money over West if you do not have to have the item right now. Look around, ask around, you`ll find some of the better ones.

19 hours ago, drewm3i said:

x2

Tough I found local Marina store to have some good prices too.  But in general, I order everything on line unless I absolutely need it immediately.

I remember putting together my list of initial items to buy when I bought my 220.  It sure was a lot of fun, and yeah, it added up.  But I still have most of that gear.

A similar experience when we bought a travel trailer a couple of years ago.  We had a good time making a list and purchasing everything we'd need, then stocking it.

Enjoy your new boat, Jonny

16 hours ago, Futzin' said:

I remember putting together my list of initial items to buy when I bought my 220.  It sure was a lot of fun, and yeah, it added up.  But I still have most of that gear.

A similar experience when we bought a travel trailer a couple of years ago.  We had a good time making a list and purchasing everything we'd need, then stocking it.

Enjoy your new boat, Jonny

Oh I remember outfitting my Motorcoach..  that was expensive as well.!! But it is all for fun and who cares.  Tomorrow is the BIG day!! Taking delivery of my first boat!!!  Can't wait!!!!

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 1:21 AM, Iggy said:

You went to the most expensive place in the world!  Try Defender.com is just one of many good placed to shop.

+1.  95% of what you'll need you can find on Amazon.