Dave Benton

ASP Surf platform with ballist

7 posts in this topic

We have a 2015 223 VRX and are wanting to know if the ASP Surf platform with ballist can be installed on our boat that didn't come equipped with it from the factory?  We love our boat but would like a better Surf wake. We went to a dealer yesterday in an attempt to possibly trade up and we found out that our 2015 VRX has lost $25,000 in value, so we would be interested in installing the ASP system instead of taking such a huge loss...

The ASP platform can be added.  Some have had it done at a dealer for approx. 1500 deer.  Some dealers might not tackle the job, go ask.  I have a 243 with no ASP and have decided that it is not worth the price.  I will be putting the deer towards more ballast and other wake shaper devices.  The ballast can be added very easily.  Take some measurements of the space you want to fill up and order some fat sacs.  What gets expensive is trying to hook up all the mounted pumps, hoses and thru-hulls to get the water in/out.  Best to get a portable tsunami pump and figure out what ballast setup works best for you before spending more.  What I have figured out is add more weight.  Displacement makes a bigger wave.  I am nearing 3000lbs of ballast.....

48 minutes ago, adam72 said:

The ASP platform can be added.  Some have had it done at a dealer for approx. 1500 deer.  Some dealers might not tackle the job, go ask.  I have a 243 with no ASP and have decided that it is not worth the price.  I will be putting the deer towards more ballast and other wake shaper devices.  The ballast can be added very easily.  Take some measurements of the space you want to fill up and order some fat sacs.  What gets expensive is trying to hook up all the mounted pumps, hoses and thru-hulls to get the water in/out.  Best to get a portable tsunami pump and figure out what ballast setup works best for you before spending more.  What I have figured out is add more weight.  Displacement makes a bigger wave.  I am nearing 3000lbs of ballast.....

Thank you for the good information...I have been looking into 3 bags and the "wakeshaper" I think that would give a good enough wake for wake surfing. Still disappointed that our two year old Chaparral with only 65 hours has already lost $25,000 in value.

Only 25,000? It's an used boat, three year old model, dealers sell MY 2018 now.

Boats depreciate much in the first few years, expect 15 to 10 percent a year in the first three years even if maintained well and with low hours.

17 hours ago, Dave Benton said:

Thank you for the good information...I have been looking into 3 bags and the "wakeshaper" I think that would give a good enough wake for wake surfing. Still disappointed that our two year old Chaparral with only 65 hours has already lost $25,000 in value.

I wouldn't its three years old at this point.  18s are out just think what 16s and 17s are going for.  brand new you lose 10% just taking it off the lot and 25% in the first year, with around a 10% loss or so every year for the first 7-10 years or so.  After 10 years the value may stabilize a little,  20 year old boats are worth nothing compared to what you bought it for new.

Toys depreciate ridiculously bad compared to cars and trucks.  problem is its a niche market per say and the fact that factory's undercut new used by offering deep discounts specially on left over models.  I lost big time on a new used sled a little over a year ago.  learned a lesson then, to never buy a new toy again, let the other guy do it. 

With that boating is not about saving money enjoy yourself.  Just cross your fingers that you didn't take out a 10-12 year note on it and then have to sell it for some reason soon.

I am finding this out as we go along..
Love our boat, just wanting more of a "wake surf" boat.
I am being told that adding 3 ballist and a wakeshaper would do us just fine for wake surffing.
We only do this when our kids come down from the KC area (3 or 4 times a year)