Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aquarius

compression test/leak test

5 posts in this topic

We have found a boat we are interested in.  The dealer gave me the compression tests on the cylinders.  All are within 15% range of normal.  My question is should a leak test be done also?  Is it common to do a leak test at the same time as compression test?  If the compression test came back normal, does that mean no leaking into the cylinders?  I have not way to tell if these engines have been flushed with fresh water after its been used in saltwater. It there an easy inspection that can show this?

Do you think that salt water really takes off more engine hours than fresh water, in terms of performance or length of engine life?  Even if the engine has been washed down each use

Typically you do a leak down test if the compression test fails, so I would say no you probably don't need to it.  I don't see how you are going to know if the motor is flushed or not flushed.  Really salt water is going to directly affect the cooling system not the engine its self, unless the cooling system were to fail.

Ive had both both salt and fresh,  salt water boats usually mean more maintenance to keep them nice and maint on parts quicker than fresh.  A freshwater boat can probably go a lifetime with the same manifolds and risers where as a salt boat probably needs them every 5-10 years.  Simple visual inspection can tell you a lot.  Key to any boat specially a salt boat is if somebody took care of it.  All things being equal I would take a fresh water boat first, but if not and it was maintained Id take a salt boat.  If you are worried I would just be sure you get a detailed survey and engine check done.

11 hours ago, aquarius said:

Do you think that salt water really takes off more engine hours than fresh water, in terms of performance or length of engine life?  Even if the engine has been washed down each use

Yes, and the electrical systems too!!!  

I have only boated in saltwater.

It is a lot of work to keep up with it.

I flush everytime before my boat is pulled.

I dont see a lot of people doing that.

I would ask for a visual inspection of the cooling system rather than take someones word for it.

ok good, now what exactly would I look for in terms of the cooling system-I am really not sure what to look for that it would be damaged or not.  It has an Ocean X nutra salt cooling system, will that matter if the boat will be used in fresh water?