Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RichH

H20 vs. SSI

21 posts in this topic

I am looking to buy a new boat and considering the 21 foot H20. I currently own a 2005 204 SSI. 

* The used H20 I am buying will save me a bunch of money from buying a new one. However, it comes with a 4.3 220 hp engine. I bought my 204 SSI new with 5.0 250HP mercruiser. My main uses for the boat are slalom skiing, wakeboarding and tubing. The H20 has a wakeboard tower. So I am wondering the following:

* Will the tower actually help me get a little air on wakeboard. I am jumping behind the 204, but not getting any height. I am 50, just learning to wakeboard, and know that I won't ever be a serious wakeboarder. But I would like to be able to have a decent occasional jump.

* On rare occasions, I will have 5 or 6 others  on the boat with me. Will it be easier or harder for my guests to get up with two skis with the wakeboard tower and less power?

* In general, will the tower make up for the drop in power for overall boat performance for watersports?

Finally, I know the SSI is considered a premium model and the H20 entry level. What will I be missing though with this boat? I know it won't have pull up cleats or hinges on the bow compartments, but what else am I sacrificing by going down a level? Love to hear your thoughts?

If I were you, Id be looking for 21 H2o with the 4.5 250hp, or the 5.0 depending on the year.  That way you won't have to worry about a loss in power.  I assume the tower helps with jumping, I've never really wakeboarded without one.  I get a few jumps in when I ride, but my middle aged, overweight style is far from extreme.  My oldest son does well with it though.  

As far as finishes and what not go, the newer the boats seem nicer.  What I mean is that the hardware etc. has gotten less generic over the years.  For instance the earlier H2o's had generic SS cleats, but mine has fancier SS cleats with the Chap logo on them.  I believe the steering wheel got nicer, as well as the gauges.  For either the '17 or '18 model year they added more accent color to the upholstery.  I would make sure you get the Deluxe package too.  That gets you nicer seats, and access to the port side helm storage. 

Thanks. As far as putting a tower on my SSI, I am concerned with investing more money in an already old boat. Plus, I am thinking if I buy a nearly new boat now I can get decent resale for my current boat and the new boat will last me until I take that FINAL CRUISE.

I like TNBrett's suggestion, but just not seeing those used 21 footers out there. Any other opinions in regards to loss of power and impact when you are adding a waketower into the equation.

I had the h20 now the ssi i would never go back,  twice the boat  just add the tower or get another ssi with a tower look for the 300hp they don't use as much gas as you might think, only at full throttle not at 3k rpm's

I think of it like this...we bought my son a nearly new Hyundai Sonata for his 16th birthday.  I have to say, it is a very nice car, much nicer than you'd expect.  It has all of the technology you could want, all of the safety features, is very quick, look nice with nice lines, decent interior materials and not hard plastics, comfortable heated seats, decent looking rims, good trunk space, and amazing mileage.  It however pales in comparison to a Mercedes Benz but unless you jump from the Hyundai to the same year Mercedes, you just don't really notice.   A Hyundai Sonata, while a very nice car is not a full luxury car...it has many of the features and accoutrements but still Isn't a Mercedes.  Many people are absolutely fine with a Hyundai and others when given the choice want that extra oomph of the Mercedes for whatever number of reasons. Not a perfect analogy because the Hyundai and the Mercedes can't have the same engine as a boat can and because Hyundai builds a full on luxury model as well.  

There is nothing wrong with a H20...

As a new boarder, the tower pull point will do little for your pop off the wake, it's all about wake shape/height/lip and technique.  Tower becomes a more viable input once you have the elevation off the wake and are pulling for maneuvers/tricks.

They do however add a great look and some shade (w/Bimini) to most boats.

I have '21 Deluxe H2O with the 5.0 engine & wake tower.  We've spent almost every weekend on the boat over the last two summers.  We haven't had any issues skiing or wake boarding (albeit we're not super aggressive when we ski or wake board).  The tower has worked well for wake boarding.  Aside from our family, I've had my son and five other teenage boys on-board skiing/wake boarding - one right after the other without a performance issue from the boat. However trying to deep water start a slalom skier was challenging for one of the larger boys - likely a skier issue more than the boat.  For us the price point compared to all that a H2O offers is the perfect match for a family activity during the months of June -September.  Can't say enough good things about the H2O.

8 hours ago, mullhaupt said:

I had the h20 now the ssi i would never go back,  twice the boat  just add the tower or get another ssi with a tower look for the 300hp they don't use as much gas as you might think, only at full throttle not at 3k rpm's

Judging from the boats listed in your signature, I would say the difference would be night and day.  With the price difference you basically got twice the boat for twice the money.  

For the OP, I don't think he's going to be stepping down in finishes and quality from a 2005 SSi to a late model 21 H2o.  

5 hours ago, TNBrett said:

Judging from the boats listed in your signature, I would say the difference would be night and day.  With the price difference you basically got twice the boat for twice the money.  

For the OP, I don't think he's going to be stepping down in finishes and quality from a 2005 SSi to a late model 21 H2o.  

Thats why I said look for another ssi with a tower Also I did  pay double for mine but the admiral isn't worried about crushing the wakes anymore with her back, and either am I, The weight difference will make our old bodies last a few more years longer then if we would of kept the light h20, also we purchase the elite package that only came out for the 50 year anniversary. We like the upgrades from the entry level boat

I am looking to stay under $40,000 for boat with new trailer.  I still haven't heard from anyone with the 4.3. Interesting to me that the tower won't really help me much. Maybe I should forget about the tower as I will likely never be doing advanced tricks. 

My take on the tower as far as any sort of performance assistance, is that back in the day before towers, I was an avid kneeboarder.  We did every kind of flip and barrel roll and spin in the air, and fancy high air trick you can think of on our knees with crappy wakes with low power outboards in light weight boats and the massive disadvantage of no leg muscles. There was no internet or youtube videos...just figure it out as we went. We got crazy high air hooked to a tie down loop one one side of the transom two inches off the water.  Just a little more practice at any age and you can get decent air with using your legs.  Heck, when you fell, the driver wouldn't stop to pick you up, you had to grab onto the rope as the driver passed at full board speed.  

What part of the country are you in RichH.  Others may know of something for sale not too far away from you. 

I was in a boat club for several years before I bought my boat, and had an opportunity to drive lots of different boats.  I was never impressed with the 4.3 in any 20'+ boat.  It was adequate, but not the same as a V8.  I never drove a boat with the new 4.5 before buying mine, and I was a little apprehensive.  All the reviews seemed good, so I did it.  In my mind the 4.5 250hp is right on par with the 5.0 260hp performance wise, but quieter, and a bit smoother.  Tower or no tower, I'm concerned you might be disappointed going to the 4.3 straight from the 5.0.

Thanks TNBrett. I am at Lake Gaston, NC. I just saw a Monterey with a tower and the 4.5 that is just a little more than I wanted to pay, but in the right range. But I have been so happy with Chap, that it would be hard for me to go to go to another brand (plus I don't really want an all black boat, just personal preference.) Lots to think about.

We really like having a tower. It gives extra lift as you are getting up, and makes wakeboarding easier. I would not have a watersports boat without one. 

brick

On 9/27/2017 at 1:12 PM, Chaparral Rider said:

I think of it like this...we bought my son a nearly new Hyundai Sonata for his 16th birthday.  I have to say, it is a very nice car, much nicer than you'd expect.  It has all of the technology you could want, all of the safety features, is very quick, look nice with nice lines, decent interior materials and not hard plastics, comfortable heated seats, decent looking rims, good trunk space, and amazing mileage.  It however pales in comparison to a Mercedes Benz but unless you jump from the Hyundai to the same year Mercedes, you just don't really notice.   A Hyundai Sonata, while a very nice car is not a full luxury car...it has many of the features and accoutrements but still Isn't a Mercedes.  Many people are absolutely fine with a Hyundai and others when given the choice want that extra oomph of the Mercedes for whatever number of reasons. Not a perfect analogy because the Hyundai and the Mercedes can't have the same engine as a boat can and because Hyundai builds a full on luxury model as well.  

There is nothing wrong with a H20...

More like a CLA250 vs an E300. But I get your point. :thumbs:

I like the tower on mine, for this reason as I havent heard anyone else mention yet. It gives us something to hold on to when walking around the inside of the boat if its a little choppy. And when entering the boat from the rear swim platform.