DarkMantle

Transom seal question...

33 posts in this topic

So I just had a Transom seal kit done on the boat which consisted of the drive and exhaust bellows, shift cable bellows and a new water hose.  The drive had to come off because I blew the driveshaft seal and smoked a few bearings in the upper gear case of the drive.  Anyway all is done and it's all sealed up with a bunch of new parts and a lot of money.  However I have been trying to chase down excessive water in the bilge and thought maybe my bellows was at fault as there was some water in it. 

After all is said and done I'm still taking on quite a bit of water and have no clue where it's coming from.  I hope to God it's not the actual Transom seal itself.  If it were that, would it not keep leaking to the point of turning the automatic bilge on?  Because it never gets that high.  The whole problem seems to be worse when the boat is driven, and there's quite a bit of water that keeps coming in from under the gas tank.  The forward bilge under the step is also wet but no actual water pooling.  I assume the water under the tank is just water sloshing all over the place and making it's way forward.  I shove a Shopvac hose in that pocket and it just keeps pulling water out.  I'm perplexed.

Dark, what type of Chap are we talking about. I would think that if the transom seal were bad, it would keep leaking and eventually fill the bilge as to trigger the bilge float. When running on plane the seal is out of the water completely, so I would think it would be worse when sitting still or at low speeds. I think it must be coming from somewhere else, engine cooling system, thru hulls, on board water system ect...

I also had a transom reseal last January on my 2001 Sig 260 from needing a new Gimbal ring. This past summer I spent a lot of time tracking down where the water could possibly be coming in from. Thinking of coarse it could not possibly be any of the new bellows, and after trying myself to search for the incoming water. I went into the dealer where boat is slipped and serviced I told them it was coming from the area where the motor and lower unit go through the transom, which I found by taking photos with my cell phone. They pulled it a few days later and found the shifter boot/bellow was torn out of the package and no way the tech would of noticed it when he installed it (what I was told). In hind sight I should of known it was from the service they did seeing last season my bilge was dry.

So I would bring it back to who serviced it and tell them your problems and concerns and with hopes it was a failed part like mine. My dealer never charged me for installing the new boot/bellow and boat has been dry for the last 4 weeks. Hope this helps!

Sorry for the late reply. Boats a 270 Sig. As for the last post. My water issue is the same before and after the service. I'll suck the water out. After about an hour's  a worth of driving there will be 2 gallons in the bilge.  I don't really drive longer than that at a time. 

How would one go about diagnosing the steering pin?

Need to determine if the water is leaking in anytime the boat is in the water with or without the engine running.  Determining when the water is coming in and when it is not helps point towards the source.  If water is coming in when on plane then it is likely not anything dealing with the transom assembly except for a leaking raw water hose as everything else is above the water line.  

31 minutes ago, drewm3i said:

Salt or fresh water? If salt, it could definitely be the CARBON STEEL steering pin.

could be this, its the swivel pin.  typically an older bravo issue because there were no grease zirts, but could happen on newer if it weren't greased.  Good way to know is to look at where the steering arm is going out the transom bracket if water is coming out of that cubby its probably the swivel pin and seal.  might have to get people to stand on the back to really see it as it wont come fast.

I had this on two of mine a freshwater boat, the swivel pin gets rusty and destroys the seal.  They will tell you, you have to pull the engines to do it, you do not theres an alternate method to do it and works great but will mean a cover plate on your drive.  let me know and I can give you the companys info that sells the parts and tools to do it.

1 hour ago, Dennis A said:

Need to determine if the water is leaking in anytime the boat is in the water with or without the engine running.  Determining when the water is coming in and when it is not helps point towards the source.  If water is coming in when on plane then it is likely not anything dealing with the transom assembly except for a leaking raw water hose as everything else is above the water line.  

This boat is a fresh water one. I looked at what I think is the upper pin through an boroscope camera. It looks rusty and there is a small drip. I should've taken a picture of it. The drip is slow. However once I drive it, alot more water than a simple drip appears. On plane, that's out of the water. I wonder if slowing down and water washing up is putting pressure on it?

42 minutes ago, DarkMantle said:

This boat is a fresh water one. I looked at what I think is the upper pin through an boroscope camera. It looks rusty and there is a small drip. I should've taken a picture of it. The drip is slow. However once I drive it, alot more water than a simple drip appears. On plane, that's out of the water. I wonder if slowing down and water washing up is putting pressure on it?

if its the swivel pin water has to get so high to get up and over that area.  Like I said put it in water and you have need to have people standing on the back, watch the steering arm if water comes in its the swivel pin and seal and ill have to be replaced.  I had twins and a day of boating would probably mean about 5 gallons in there.

A big heavy boat like that the drive may not be out of the water,

7 minutes ago, soldier4402 said:

if its the swivel pin water has to get so high to get up and over that area.  Like I said put it in water and you have need to have people standing on the back, watch the steering arm if water comes in its the swivel pin and seal and ill have to be replaced.  I had twins and a day of boating would probably mean about 5 gallons in there.

You're saying 5 gallons came in from the steering pin?

8 minutes ago, DarkMantle said:

You're saying 5 gallons came in from the steering pin?

yeah I had two drives so yes.  maybe more.  look at the back of your engine and what goes out to the hull,  there is a drive shaft and above is the tiller per say that connects to the swivel pin which has a seal.  If its this the water will come out of the hole in the transom bracket where the tiller arm goes through. Usually leaks on tops of the drive shaft area.

39 minutes ago, soldier4402 said:

yeah I had two drives so yes.  maybe more.  look at the back of your engine and what goes out to the hull,  there is a drive shaft and above is the tiller per say that connects to the swivel pin which has a seal.  If its this the water will come out of the hole in the transom bracket where the tiller arm goes through. Usually leaks on tops of the drive shaft area.

I'll have a look and take pics. Thanks

18 minutes ago, soldier4402 said:

if its that see these guys they will send the tools that are specially made  http://www.jrmarine.com/instructions.htm

to do the job.  Otherwise your pulling the motors.  These guys are great and a lot of people have used them. 

Thanks for the link. Is this a better way than the Mercruiser repair which I think involves drilling two 5/8 holes on each side?

12 minutes ago, DarkMantle said:

Thanks for the link. Is this a better way than the Mercruiser repair which I think involves drilling two 5/8 holes on each side?

Yes.

19 hours ago, soldier4402 said:

I went into the area where the steering arm is with a Boroscope and took these pics.  A bit hard to orientate them so hopefully it makes sense.  I'm  a pretty sure I was looking at the steering arm anyway.  It's an arm that passes through the transom  Screenshot_20170927-085403.png20170927_085756.png20170927_085644.png

Maybe it`s time for you owners to install the missing grease fitting in the housing to grease the steering pin to stop the rusting that east the seal .

No dis-assembly required

Transom seals usually will leak after a hard bottom strike  and can be checked by trying to insert a .005 feeler gauge between the housing and the transom.

Most times a leaking main bellow will show water leaking in just above the inputshaft.

Water leaking in to the low left of the inputshaft is a torn /loose shift bellow.

13 minutes ago, Bt Doctur said:

DSCN2598_zps142d1800.jpg

BT, can you provide some reference dimensions for locating where to drill?  I seem to have lost mine.

looks to be the problem f to me.  The problem is on some models the grease zirks aren't there and sometimes they are and people don't grease over time moisture and so forth makes this part rust out and kill the seal.  Id order new swivel pins and seal, the kit that I showed you and the tools and have some repair it.  That should fix your problem.  While you are repairing it id add a grease zirk if it doesn't have it.   I think I had a few hundred bucks into it.  I wasn't in salt so didn't opt for the stainless swivel pin but it might be a good idea.

that should be it anyways.  looks to be the tillar arm.