DarkMantle

Transom seal question...

33 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, soldier4402 said:

looks to be the problem f to me.  The problem is on some models the grease zirks aren't there and sometimes they are and people don't grease over time moisture and so forth makes this part rust out and kill the seal.  Id order new swivel pins and seal, the kit that I showed you and the tools and have some repair it.  That should fix your problem.  While you are repairing it id add a grease zirk if it doesn't have it.   I think I had a few hundred bucks into it.  I wasn't in salt so didn't opt for the stainless swivel pin but it might be a good idea.

that should be it anyways.  looks to be the tillar arm.

+1.

I think after '90 they discontinued the grease fitting, my '92 doesn't have it.  

2 hours ago, soldier4402 said:

looks to be the problem f to me.  The problem is on some models the grease zirks aren't there and sometimes they are and people don't grease over time moisture and so forth makes this part rust out and kill the seal.  Id order new swivel pins and seal, the kit that I showed you and the tools and have some repair it.  That should fix your problem.  While you are repairing it id add a grease zirk if it doesn't have it.   I think I had a few hundred bucks into it.  I wasn't in salt so didn't opt for the stainless swivel pin but it might be a good idea.

that should be it anyways.  looks to be the tillar arm.

Im assuming that there should not be any rusty water in there, period. And that source of that rust is the pivot pin?  I just find it hard to believe that much water is coming through there. However under slow manoeuvres there is probably quite a bit of turbulent water blasting all over that area. 

Just now, DarkMantle said:

Im assuming that there should not be any rusty water in there, period. And that source of that rust is the pivot pin?  I just find it hard to believe that much water is coming through there. However under slow manoeuvres there is probably quite a bit of turbulent water blasting all over that area. 

moisture in general builds up kills that seal, or like mentioned bottom strikes may have killed the seal.  once the seal is bad water comes through there.  Call those guys find a good mechanic and youll be on your way.  just be sure to add zirks. 

4 hours ago, soldier4402 said:

moisture in general builds up kills that seal, or like mentioned bottom strikes may have killed the seal.  once the seal is bad water comes through there.  Call those guys find a good mechanic and youll be on your way.  just be sure to add zirks. 

Im not at all worried about doing the job myself. Just want to make sure that is indeed the source. 

Went to the boat today. It's not moved since I vacuumed the bilge. There was maybe a 1/2 liter of water but it was coming from under the fuel tank like it always does. This is the spot inbetween the two bilge pumps right under the tank. It's not fuel either. . It keeps reappearing. I don't know what the architecture is like under there. Not sure if there's a stubborn pocket of water but there's no thru hulls forward of the A/C pickup. The side thru hulls are all above the water line and it's not rained in two weeks. What a stubborn issue. I honestly don't know if this water issue is from the back or the front. 

1 hour ago, DarkMantle said:

I honestly don't know if this water issue is from the back or the front. 

I remember you casing this pesky problem for a while now.

How about using plumbers putty or pliable silicon to temporarily block the weeping hole in the bulkhead aft of fuel tank to isolate the mid and aft bilges. Chances are you might have two separate issues confusing you and the diagnosis.

Just do not let too much water to accumulate under the fuel tank for extended period of time.