Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jeff Schaefer

Volvo Penta V-*8

7 posts in this topic

Looking at buying a 2014 330 Signature with twin Volvo V-8s with Ocean X drives. I live on the west coast of Florida and have been warned that these engines don't perform as well in salt water. Can anyone give me some feedback if this is true? The engines have 78 hours and are currently in fresh water. When I look at most Chaparrals for sale, they seem to be in fresh water not salt.

closed cooling would be best for salt water, open or raw water cooling is not as nice but still works.  cant believe a Volvo is any better or worse then merc in salt.

Are you talking about the engine blocks or the outdrives specifically.  As far as the Ocean X drive in salt, they were made for salt. As far as the blocks, I would prefer a Closed cooling system for salt, but even if an Open system, no better or worse than Mercury as it pertains to salt. Do you know what type of cooling system they have?

Nonsense. They will do just fine. I wouldn't leave that boat in a slip, but it could be done.

26 minutes ago, drewm3i said:

Nonsense. They will do just fine. I wouldn't leave that boat in a slip, but it could be done.

The boat would be on a lift not in a slip. My 300 Sundancer doesn't have a cooling system and I flush after each use. If I treat the Volvo's the same as the Merc's, I'm assuming the performance should be the same.

Thanks for the input.

I have the ocean x drives boat is 4 years old and the drive look new.

I fresh water flush before the boat is pulled, when I overnight I do not flush.