Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1naylor

Going to try a new prop

6 posts in this topic

2002 186ssi 5.0 carbed alpha one.   

Added a 19p x 14 spitfire 4 blade aluminum this summer and hole shot is good.  Top speed is not bad.   43 mph from what I am seeing on gps.

That is turning a solid and consistant 4800 RPM.  

The mercury prop selector listed this prop and it is definitely not bad.....so now I want to try something in stainless.  

The prop selector also recommends 2 enertia props:   20p. X 13.8 and 21p x 13.6 .  So far these are what I am eyeballing.  

So I'm going from 19p four blade aluminum...

To three blade stainless enertia.    But what pitch?   I'm already right at redline.

I pull kids on a tube...but they weigh nothing.    We do love flying around the lake.   A little extra speed would be fun.

Thank you! 

I'd go with the 20p prop.  I believe when you go from a 4 blade to a 3 blade you increase one step.  If you go to the 21p you might be a few hundred RPM from your redline.  

Thank you for the advice I have a lot of work to do to this old girl before spring.    Prop is definitely one.  

Honestly I hope to pick up a few mph and surprise my friend next year.   He has a new crownline with a 5.0 mpi.    We both nailed it from a dead stop and travelled a mike or so wide open.   We were both shocked when he only pulled about a boat length on me.    I need to close that gap.

Wondering if I have vortec heads and could pick up a intake and 4 barrel as well. 

You have a nice boat that does what it does with a a 4 blade. Going from a 4 blade to a 3 blade will add appx. 150 rpm with the same pitch (Its a hydraulic thing, not going into the 9 pages of physics). Most times when you go to a 3 blade to a 4 blade one its recommended to drop 1 pitch. So going the other direction you'll add 1 pitch. 

With that being said, I had a similar set-up in my last boat. It came with a 3 blade aluminum prop.  I tried a few 3 blade SS props, it ran faster but when did a tight turn they would blow out. So Opted to go to 4 blade aluminum, lost a couple mph but it never blew out on tight turns.

IMO you have a good set-up. Buts its your doe.

It does grip great in turns and it's a thrill to throw it into a fast, hard turn.  I'm still not sure how hard is ok.    At some point it feels like the back end is slipping??  I feel like I'm right on the brink of it flipping around...or maybe rolling.    I saw some mention somewhere of a "full lock" turn at 50mph in my same boat...I can't imagine actually doing that...but I'm getting close. 

On 9/28/2017 at 10:09 PM, 1naylor said:

I saw some mention somewhere of a "full lock" turn at 50mph in my same boat...I can't imagine actually doing that...but I'm getting close. 

Why......

Have you seen the guy in the Baja video? he got knocked out.