ahendri

Merc 5.0L MPI Winterizing Procedure

5 posts in this topic

Well guys it's getting to be that time of year again. My season is coming to a close with fall activities looming it's time to get the boat winterized and put into storage. I've been doing a lot of reading on winterizing and am a little confused. Last year I stabilized the fuel, changed the oil/filter, fuel filter and lower unit oil as well as opened the blue drain valves and ran antifreeze through the engine. This is my first I/O boat as I have winterized outboards before and always fogged the carbs. With the Merc 5.0L MPI engines i'm seeing people mixing up a "Cocktail" and putting it in the fuel filter and letting that "fog" the engine. Is the correct procedure? Does anyone have a good mixture for a "Cocktail" i've never done that in the past and am a little worried I maybe hurting my boat by not doing this step in the winterizing process. Thanks in advance!!!

The conventional fogging of old does nothing to coat the fuel system internals. An 8 oz. bottle of Mecr 2 cycle oil, mixed with 5 oz. of Marine Stabil 360 in a gallon of fresh gasoline will do the job. Primary and secondary electric fuel pumps, fuel pressure regulator, fuel injectors, manifold runners, and both intake and exhaust valves, cylinder walls, rings, and even exhaust internals get a fog coating using the new MPI procedure.  I put her on muffs, and hook up my temporary fuel tank to the fuel module inlet fitting. Run the engine until the gallon is almost gone, which takes about 20 minutes, then change out the engine and drive oil. You will know when the mixture reaches the engine as the idle note will change. I change fuel filters in the spring after the first outing so that all the fog mixture has cleared the fuel module. Drain the system raw water, set up your anti-freeze tank and restart the engine allowing the engine to both achieve oil pressure and suck in a quantity of the antifreeze. I use about 4 gallon of Marine/RV non-toxic for this purpose which is enough to fill the raw water side internals, and begin to dispel a small amount of material out the exhaust. I also suck the remaining fuel from the tank at this point, but that is a bit overkill for most. Cost me nothing as I pump it into my street vehicles.

This a copy of a Mercury service bulletin, while several years old, as far as I'm aware it's still considered as the proper procedure:

September 2001
Mercury Service Bulletin No. 2001-15
New Gasoline EFI/MPI Engine Fogging Procedure
Models
All MerCruiser gasoline EFI and MPI engines produced in
Stillwater.

NOTE: This change does not apply to carbureted engines produced in Stillwater or Hi-Performance engines produced by Mercury Racing.

Change
Follow this new fogging procedure when laying an engine up for storage.

Fogging Mixture
In a 6 US gal (23 L) remote outboard fuel tank, mix:

US gal (19 L) regular unleaded 87 octane (90 RON) gasoline.
64 fl oz. (1.89 L) Mercury or Quicksilver Premium Plus 2-Cycle TC-W3 Outboard oil.
5 fl oz. (150 mL) Mercury or Quicksilver Fuel System Treatment and Stabilizer, OR
1 fl oz. (30 mL) Mercury or Quicksilver Fuel System Treatment and Stabilizer Concentrate.

New Fogging Procedure
1. Disconnect and plug boat’s fuel line from Water Separating Fuel Filter inlet.
2. Connect remote outboard fuel tank (with the fogging mixture) to the inlet of the Water
Separating Fuel Filter.

IMPORTANT: If the boat is out of the water, follow instructions for running engine on flush device as found in service manual for the engine being fogged.

a. Cool Fuel models: Start and run engine at 1300 rpm for 5 minutes.
b. VST models: Start and run engine at 1300 rpm for 10 minutes.

4. After specified running time is complete, slowly return throttle to idle rpm and shut engine off.

IMPORTANT: Do not run engine’s fuel system dry of this fogging mixture in the 6
US gal (23 L) remote outboard fuel tank.

http://s526.photobucket.com/user/wingnutmfs/library/Winterization Merc 496256 SSX

To add to Wingnut , DRAIN EVERYTHING FIRST then you can use the stated method or remove the hoses and pour the a/F in

On 09/27/2017 at 9:23 AM, Wingnut said:

I also suck the remaining fuel from the tank at this point, but that is a bit overkill for most. Cost me nothing as I pump it into my street vehicles.

Wingnut, what is the best method to remove remaining fuel from the tank? I have a 2004 215 SSI with 5.0 Merc, Alpha 1 Gen 2.

3 hours ago, Slapshot said:

Wingnut, what is the best method to remove remaining fuel from the tank? I have a 2004 215 SSI with 5.0 Merc, Alpha 1 Gen 2.

I have a small electric fuel pump which runs on 12 vdc. The suction hose has a inverted flare fitting that mates to the Chap anti-siphon valve. You can get the hydrocarbon rated hose at any Home Depot as it is the same as is used on a Propane Grille. Mine is 15' long.   W