Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
paulswagelock

New Mercruiser 6.2 fuel filter/ cool fuel module

10 posts in this topic

Friend asked me to winterize his boat with him. He has the new Merc 6.2. He showed me his box of parts and the first thing I notice is the fuel filter. It looks like the outboard fuel filters with the red hex top. i looked up the fuel module for his boat and it is no longer the traditional cool fuel module and it does not have a filter in it.

Is the new fuel module still water cooled and in the same location as the last generation, couldn't tell from the diagram?

Where is the fuel filter on this new motor (not seen his engine yet) since it is not part of the fuel module?

what year is this NEW 6.2 . THe cool fuel unit located on the port side motor mount does not use a fuel filter ,the fuel filter is a canistor type on the stbd side manifold. The newer cool fuel III is mounted stbd side motor mount and has a internal filter and water cooling.

Not that, this is a 2017, Mercruiser developed 6.2, not the GM 6.2.

Image result for 2017 mercruiser 6.2 fuel filter

Has a new version of fuel module and separate fuel filter. I am well versed in the older (2014 and below) items.

fuel.jpg

On this parts look up screen if you back up a page to the "Fuel Supply Module and Rail" you will see the tube that contains the new filter with the red top.

I have the same engine, the maintenance manual says to check the filter for debris every 100 hours or water and replace if debris is visible.

the location is on the starboard front side of the engine (red service cap) - readily accesible and can be released by sliding it up from its bracket to remove it.

hope that helps

5 hours ago, paulswagelock said:

Perfect. Thanks.

By the way, how do you like that engine. My friend raves about it in his 27'.

it’s a great engine, very smooth, quiet and pretty good mpg and a lot easier to maintain than the old Mag350. I’ve got it in the 246ssi - it’s a perfect match.

I have that engine in my 2004 22ssi , never had any problems other than a fuel pump, nice rumble with captain call on,

Merc Bravo 3 -24 P