Cazzy

Fuel sending unit length 196ssi?

13 posts in this topic

I need to buy a new sending unit and getting the new style flexi sensor. Does anyone know the sending unit length for a 196ssi. 

I read a prior post that said 8". The tank measures 10" high. It's only a 29 gallon tank(U.S). 

Why not just take your suspect sender out?  You can easily measure the empty to full distance with a ruler from bottom to top of the inside of the tank. You need to remove the sender anyway. Remember to try your new sender out while it is electrically hooked up, but before you install it into the fuel tank. It should make the dash gauge read close to empty, mid way, and full when you move the float to those approximate positions.

9 hours ago, SterndriveEd said:

Why not just take your suspect sender out?  You can easily measure the empty to full distance with a ruler from bottom to top of the inside of the tank. You need to remove the sender anyway. Remember to try your new sender out while it is electrically hooked up, but before you install it into the fuel tank. It should make the dash gauge read close to empty, mid way, and full when you move the float to those approximate positions.

Thanks for replying. I was hoping someone just knew the length without taking it out again until the new one arrives. I'm buying the flexi style with no float. Not chancing the float sinking again as I've read is happening to others. 

I'm in the same boat with my 02 186ssi.   boat is stored 1.5 hours away.   Been googling like mad.   I gotta drive down and take the old one out and measure.   My gauge always reads full with the key on. 

16 minutes ago, 1naylor said:

I'm in the same boat with my 02 186ssi.   boat is stored 1.5 hours away.   Been googling like mad.   I gotta drive down and take the old one out and measure.   My gauge always reads full with the key on. 

I hear ya 1naylor. Here's what I did.

I ordered an after market sending unit today 8", and will install it when it comes in. The company(Royce Industries) that made the ones used in my 2013 are no longer in business. Chaparral has some in stock but I'm not going through this again due to a faulty sinking float. 

Its not so wonder they went out of business  

I removed the sending unit in the driveway and measured it. With the float at the top of the rod it's 7" at bottom of float(8" to top of float). Mine is only 29 gallons. I'm not sure how they measure them but I'm going with a 8" sending unit. 

last time I got a sending unit there was only like two kinds and the one I got was universal. took old one out and bended the new one to the same size

Cazzy, why don't you measure the tank depth? The distance from top to bottom. If you measure the old sender without considering the tank measurement, you may not get the most accurate replacement sender.

2 hours ago, SterndriveEd said:

Cazzy, why don't you measure the tank depth? The distance from top to bottom. If you measure the old sender without considering the tank measurement, you may not get the most accurate replacement sender.

Ya I did measure it. It's 9" but the float only goes as high as 8" on the rod at full. I can't afford $$$ to make a mistake on the correct length. 

1 hour ago, 1naylor said:

Let me know how it goes.  Sounds like a plan!

Will do. Not impressed with Chaparral's decision to use a 29 gallon tank on my boat. 

Great. 9 inches is the top of tank to bottom of tank distance. So the new sending unit should be 9 inches or so from the bottom of it's mounting plate to the low point of the float travel. Then when you hook it up to the wiring and move the float by hand, top to bottom with the key on, the gauge on the dash should move in sync with the float position. I would hope for an accurate reading at the mid position of the float - making the gauge read 1/2 tank.