Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Water Dawg 6

Game of twister

8 posts in this topic

Any Sig 290 owners out there that are not made of rubber and don't like the game of twister.. I literally had to cut away some of the rear fiber glass from my engine compartment hatch to be able to remove my flame arrestors.  Now I have new Distributer Caps, rotors and sparkplugs to install but even with the hatch held all the way open, I can't even see to be able to get a screw driver in there to remove the old rotors.  There is only like a 2 inch gap between the back of the engine hatch and the top of my flame arrestors.  Same issue with getting to the rear plugs.  Even if I removed the hatch, the lip of deck of the boat the hatch fits in will still be in the way.  Any suggestions?

Sometimes thinking outside of the box works.  I found it very easy to get access to rear of my starboard engine by removing the batteries.  When I get to the work on the port, I will empty and pull out my water tank.   Between the engines is tight.  I do the plugs and wires by feel.  You may have luck laying sideways in and around the engine.  But I am a small guy, so YMMV.

Wow.   What engines do you have in your 290?  I have Volvo 5.0 GXi (270 hp) and have done the rotor, cap, plug and wire change out twice with very little problems, and enough clearance to get at the engine cover and distributor.

I have twin Mercs 5.0L MPIs.  The problem is right were the cover hinges to rear of the boat. There simply isn't any clearance.  I kid you not just to remove my flame arrestors, I had to cut some lip away and pry the rear of the boat (where the hatch is hinged too) up with a long medal pipe as I pulled the flame arrestors out.  Next time I go the boat I'll take a pic for you guys. 

Not sure if it will work on your boat / engine.

I simply Double nutted the studs & backed them out. Disconnected the carb linkage at the easiest end if  necessary.