Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Exoset

Trailer, bunks position (Strakes)

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

boat season is almost over in Canada :( and I have to put the boat on the trailer in a couple of days.

I was wondering what would be your advice about bunks position. I have read that some folks put them outside of the strakes in order to lower the boat and make the whole more stable on the road.

Other people state that it is dangerous to go outside the strakes, I asked to 2 different Chap dealers and got 2 different answers :s.

Here is the trailer :

124691IMG0021.jpg

Here is the best picture I have of the boat on the trailer :

551995IMG0222.jpg

I wish I could go wider, put some more space between the bunks if possible, what do you think ? I could use some advices :P

Thanks

Don't know that it really matters as long as the strakes don't sit directly on the bunks. However I would prefer a wider base of support by my bunks.

If you move the bunks out you will have issues with the fenders. It's fine, don't over think it. 

1 hour ago, Phillbo said:

If you move the bunks out you will have issues with the fenders. It's fine, don't over think it. 

+1

13 hours ago, Phillbo said:

It looks fine to me... How far are you towing it? 

East Canada to south Florida every year

13 hours ago, Phillbo said:

I have to move the bunks anyway, for now the bunks are on the genny water intake, so as I have to move them anyway, perhaps move them as wide as possible could be a good idea. I really have a lot of space between the boat and the fenders, I don't think it will be be an issue.

What is bothering me is more the fact to go outside the strakes.

I don't want to take this off topic, but I have a question (to which the answer might prove helpful).  My trailer was built specifically for the boat.  In other words, McClain Trailers had a "jig" to ensure the bunks were set right for the boat.  Here's my question...my weight bearing bunks are on edge rather than "flat" like @Exoset's trailer.  Why would this be?  And what if you were to mount your bunks on edge?  Would it perhaps give you more flexibility and avoid your generator intake?

1 minute ago, TexasPilot71 said:

I don't want to take this off topic, but I have a question (to which the answer might prove helpful).  My trailer was built specifically for the boat.  In other words, McClain Trailers had a "jig" to ensure the bunks were set right for the boat.  Here's my question...my weight bearing bunks are on edge rather than "flat" like @Exoset's trailer.  Why would this be?  And what if you were to mount your bunks on edge?  Would it perhaps give you more flexibility and avoid your generator intake?

Hey TP,

that is the idea (to move the bunks as wide as possible), in order to lower the boat as much as possible when I tow. My bunks are AB style, which means they move to fit the angle of the hull I don't know if yours are fixed or mobile.

I just don't know if going after the strakes is recommended or dangerous :P

2 minutes ago, Exoset said:

Hey TP,

that is the idea (to move the bunks as wide as possible), in order to lower the boat as much as possible when I tow. My bunks are AB style, which means they move to fit the angle of the hull I don't know if yours are fixed or mobile.

I just don't know if going after the strakes is recommended or dangerous :P

Mine are certainly fixed.  Bolted to welded "tabs".  But they are on edge rather than flat like yours.  Then the "tops" are cut at the angle of the hull so that the hull is not resting on a corner but rather on a full 1.75" of a 2x12.  I am simply wondering if you can (or even should) change yours to on edge and that may give you more flexibility to move them outward without impacting a chine.