Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SCHalvy

No Engine Gauge Readings on Garmin 741 XS

10 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Just got my first boat (lots to learn). It is a 2017 246 ssi with the volvo penta 300 engine in it with the garmin 741xs GPS in it. The digital gauges (like fuel consumption, oil pressure, engine temp, etc) are working just fine, but when I try to pull up that info on the GPS unit....nothing. Doesn't seem like the engine is communicating with the GPS. Any idea how to fix that? 

I googled it and it seems like i need a NMEA 2000 connection, but couldn't find a solution specific to my engine. any help would be appreciated!

Each device you're going to want to connect to your NMEA network and view on your Garmin has there own separate sensors you have to purchase.  For example if you want to view your fuel consumption on your Garmin you have to purchase and install the Garmin GFS-10 fuel sensors.  Same thing goes for viewing your engine's trim on your display - you have to purchase a separate sensor that connects to your equipment.  The Garmin head units all come compatible for viewing all your data, but separate equipment/sensors are required.

10 hours ago, Water Dawg 6 said:

Each device you're going to want to connect to your NMEA network and view on your Garmin has there own separate sensors you have to purchase.  For example if you want to view your fuel consumption on your Garmin you have to purchase and install the Garmin GFS-10 fuel sensors.  Same thing goes for viewing your engine's trim on your display - you have to purchase a separate sensor that connects to your equipment.  The Garmin head units all come compatible for viewing all your data, but separate equipment/sensors are required.

Well, If you use a gateway. You can read almost everything and more, thats on your helm. Fuel flow, MPG, GPH, temp, oil pressure, oil temp, RPMs. Its dependent on 3 things, what the on board engine computer can read, what the GPS can display and what the gateway is programmed to convert to NMEA2k. 

The only thing I can not read is the fuel level since that is not connected to the on-board computer. That I would have to install a NMEA2k sensor.   

On 10/2/2017 at 4:50 PM, Iggy said:

Well, If you use a gateway. You can read almost everything and more, thats on your helm. Fuel flow, MPG, GPH, temp, oil pressure, oil temp, RPMs. Its dependent on 3 things, what the on board engine computer can read, what the GPS can display and what the gateway is programmed to convert to NMEA2k. 

The only thing I can not read is the fuel level since that is not connected to the on-board computer. That I would have to install a NMEA2k sensor.   

I can see all of this (fuel flow, temp, oil pressure, etc) on my "normal" gauges, just want it to show on the GPS....so sounds like i wont need all of those extra sensors?

Yes, just install a j1939 to NMEA2k gateway. Cost is about 175 to read almost everything. The only thing it will not display is your fuel tank level,(at lest on my boat) since it is not connected to the engine computer. The fuel gauge and the sender are its on independent unit. 

Iggy, I agree that the j1939 gateway will read almost everything.  However, because it does attach directly to the current on-board gauges if those gauges aren't working properly (like your trim tab gauge for example) the data won't be displayed on the Garmin Head Unit.  For this reason, I was told to install separate sensors that connect to my NMEA network that work independently from the on-board gauges.  Thus if your on-board gauges/sensors/sending units fail - you still have accurate data going to your Garmin Head Unit (Lowrance, Raymarine, etc.)  I'm surely not an expert at this, just relaying what I was told.  Of course the way I was told to do it seems like it's going to be a lot of dear.  I haven't done anything yet, except I did have my GFS-10 Fuel sensors installed.  Best thing I ever did, since fuel gauges (sending units) tend to fail frequently and also with the movement of the boat, often aren't very accurate. 

The data is read from the engine computer's. As you say, "attach directly to the current on-board gauges if those gauges aren't working properly (like your trim tab gauge for example) the data won't be displayed on the Garmin Head Unit." My tech is broken and I can still read the info. Not a flat out true statement. If my gauge wiring was to short out (an open we don't care), I can reach in and disconnect the four wire feed computer coming from the engine compartment to the gauges and still read info from both engines on my GPS.

I would not worry about it. Who is doing the work and how much is it going to cost you? This info is from the dealer, yes? For 175, the gateway if giving me more info than I need. "Thats a  good thing"  All I did was reach in behind the helm, disconnect the wire from the tech which come directly from the engine's computer. Than the gateway plugs into the tech and the wire from the computer plugs into the gateway. The gateway than plungs into my NMEA2k network. In 10 mins, it was up and running.

Remember too, its the sending units (oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, and more) giving the info to the computer. If the gauges fail, the info is still being read from the computer and being sent out. If the sending units fail, thats different, but how often does that happen. Not very............

OK, each there own and enough said. If you need help with the gateway, let me know.