Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zaraza

Crack

9 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I was washing the hull of my boat today and found a crack. It is not visible to the naked eye really, but my nail catches on it. It is about 20 inches long, from about the center and to the side. The boat is from year 2010. What would you recommend, should I look into repairing the crack, sell the boat, or let it be? Other than this, the boat is in great shape and I am happy with it. Any opinions are appreciated. Thank you.

8 hours ago, drewm3i said:

Pics

And more information...

brick

If your boat is truly cracked, why would somebody buy it?

It is more than likely a scrape or a spider crack in the gelcoat.

If it is not visible to the naked eye, it is doubtfual pic will be of much value

I attached the picture. I had to change the contrast because otherwise it is barely visible. 

My options right now are to return the boat to the dealer and have them deal with it. He just pays me the value of the boat.

Around the crack, there are small yellow spots that I cannot wash off. The entire hull is clean and perfectly white, but I cannot erase those spots. 

Anybody ever have this kind of problem? Will this crack get worse overtime? I am truly in shock, its not a cheap boat by any means. 

Thank you.

crack 2.jpg

Hard to say. The crack will have to be grinded down and filled back in with gel coat, though it looks to be on a chine? Maybe a stress crack due to hull flexing at that point because of delamination? It's hard to say. The spots may be water intrusion into the underlying laminate, but it's hard to say online. Where are you located?

Discoloration is not a good sign ... get a professional opinion and attend to this problem pronto.

You seem to think the dealer or someone else will buy the boat from you.  It's unlikely they will until this is figured out.  Or if they do, the price will be minus the worst case scenario to repair.  If you are the original owner you might still have hull warranty?