Newport2016

8.1 GXI-e Fuel Pump Failure

11 posts in this topic

I installed a new fuel pump on my 256 SS 8.1 about 60 days ago.  I have used the boat less than 2 hours and it appears to have failed.  I am waiting on confirmation from my tech but he said others have had the same issue.  Has anyone else had the same issue?  

the only thing is that the orginal one had a painted inside so maybe some of the paint has made its way to the injectors.

I`ve not had the same issues, I did preventative maintenance and took mine apart and removed the paint lining myself. Some components of the pump can now be replaced individually without purchasing an entire new unit. There are even guys online that will rebuild the unit for you or sell you the parts to do yourself. Get back to us when you get the final diagnosis. Maybe we can offer some better advise at that time. What year is the boat?

I am waiting to hear from my tech but the service manager said that he heard from the Volvo rep that the vendor Volvo contracted with was having a lot of issues.  I should know more later this week.  The pump was about 60 days ago.  Once I know more, I will post.  

To my good fortune, I have been told from my tech that the Fuel Pump is good.  Still waiting to hear the root of my engine issues.  Thanks for all your comments

It starts than moves to a high idle, 3000 RPM's and stalls when I put it in gear to move forward.  Have you ever had that issue.  The tech is looking for electrical shorts in the harness.  

Try disconnecting the IAC before you start up. If doing this keeps the engine from revving up to 3000 rpms, then you are getting close to the issue. Since the computer controls the IAC based on sensor inputs, a scan device will help pinpoint the root cause. 

SterndriveEd, I asked  my tech to try your suggestion.  He is checking, he thinks it is a short with a ground.  Any idea what could cause it to rev high and stall?  

I would stay away from any tech that says a "short with a ground". There is no such animal. He may be charging you by the hour to chase down a non-existent wiring issue. There can be "open" wires- a broken connection. There can be "grounded" wires-a bare wire touches metal. There can be "shorted" wires-two systems or wires touch each other that are supposed to be separate. Finally a poor connection, due to corrosion, or a loose connection can cause trouble too.