Bob from Scotland

Bob from Scotland

On 10/3/2017 at 11:14 AM, Auggie said:

I'm guessing his was an installed price.  W

Actually no, the £800 was for the fuel pump assembly for the 5L GXI / 3861355. The e Bay $550 one you directed me to is a different model. The price is so expensive because it's "original manufacturer" Looks like I will have to except the damage to the household budget.

In Scotland despite being an oil producer we pay pay heavily for gas. The money is lavished on the welfare state hence the reason everyone from 3rd world countries wants to come here.

I digress, we pay £1.30 a litre and the consumption seems about right. I haven’t made any detailed analysis yet as I only bought it end of last year. It’s the 5 litres engine what would expect to be getting?

The fuel pump had to be replaced and that cost £1300 to supply and fit!

Since 2010 I am a VERY  happy owner of 275 SSi which is used for our holidays in France.

Every year before the season the local French boat service makes all necessary to have a problem free vacation.

I have 8,1 l Volvo Penta with 142 hours  with no problem until now, we use it for coast « crosieres » to the Lerins Islands  with average 2500-3500 RPM on the sea , aprrox 30 % of time the engine is running in restricted area with  limited speed ( around 1000 RPM) howerver.

The boat is in the port all the year with mainly fresh water ( Cannes Marina), we use it for boating 3 month time in the summer.

Recently I was told that the exhaust of my Volvo Penta should be replaced to avoid any future problem.

Is it really necessary? It seems that it  would cost  some few thousands euro here.

Pls comment

Mariusz

Your exhaust manifolds and risers see salt water at elevated temperatures and will thin over time. So many variables that it's hard to project when they will fail, but they will. The key is inspection which requires removal, cleaning, and careful evaluation. Your 8.1 has a closed cooling system with antifreeze so the block, heads, and engine coolant circulation pump are immune to sea water damage, but the manifolds, risers, and sea water pump are not. 142 hours is nothing, but 8 years indicates it's time for at least an inspection. Typically, the joint gaskets begin to degrade, and fasteners begin to seize by then so even if the manifolds and risers can be flushed, painted, and re-used, it good practice to have them removed, re-gasketed, inspected, and re-installed. The issue with a failed component here is the fact that it allows sea water to leach into the engine cylinders through the exhaust port. Salt water laying in a cylinder is never a good thing. If you are handy, pulling the manifolds is not rocket science, and pulling the spark plugs first makes it easier. They are cast iron and a bit heavy so having a helper is a good thing. That way you are potentially only on the hook for gaskets, your labor, and paint if inspection shows acceptable wear. If you get stuck, then have the experts step in.  W