SST

Over The Niagara Falls? Not today.

8 posts in this topic

While taking an evening run I entered the Niagara River heading for my usual spot at buckhorn state park. There is a shelf that is 1.5 feet deep. The entryway for me is a green buoy which is down river and is deep so no hitting the bottom.  As I approached, another boat was coming out so I turned about 100 feet inside the buoy.  Have done it before with no problem.  But as I crossed over the area the boat suddenly lagged in power. I immediately came to a stop assuming I got some seaweed. Forward and reverse. Seemed ok. Started to go forward and lagged again. This time I couldn't get the drive out of gear and the engine stalled. I didn't dare start it again. Now my thoughts are the Falls are only 3 miles away.  

I look over the swim platform and see no seaweed.  But then I see something extending from the drive and beyond.  I start looking around and finally notice that the dock rope was over the side.  And sliced!   I raised the outdrive and sure enough the other half of the rope is wrapped around the prop and In between the prop and the drive. I carefully start unwinding the rope and I am fortunate that it all came out. 

Got back in the cabin, lowered the drive and prayed. Turned the key and it started right up.  Shifted in forward and reverse all the while watching the temp gauge.  All was well and I continued on.  Phew.  

Just now, Phillbo said:

I assume you have an anchor on board and could have thrown it out if the engine did not start. Did you leave your docking line cleated?  Bad line management. 

It was attached to the waterski eye and it was sitting on the bench seat not hanging over the side.  I can only guess a gust of wind got a hold of it and blew it over the swim platform and when I made the turn and slowed down the prop got it  

i have two anchors that I could have used if necessary.