sburke91

Off-Season Upgrades

27 posts in this topic

In our neck of the woods, we have to be off our docks by 10/15, as they start pulling them at the end of October.  Due to family commitments this weekend, and work travel next, I pulled mine this past Sunday (and then had the 4-hour joy of cleaning the hull).  I still expect to get out a few more times off the trailer, but putting the boat back in the garage officially triggered the time to start thinking about off season upgrades.  On my list this year, for the winter:

• Gas grill and mount (the biggest challenge I have here is figuring out where to store the grill when not in use)
  • Dual power refrigerator (hopefully I can find one that will fit in the factory cooler location, and then do a bit of custom work for the venting that's needed)
  • Additional clip mounting locations for multiple items (anchor light, manual bilge pump, cover center post, etc.) to both gain space and ease access
  • Possibly a real shore power system (still on the fence on this one), rather than just the onboard charger
  • Windlass (I have the bow roller and would love to be able to set and weigh anchor without having to go up on the bow) -- anyone have pictures of the helm station windlass controls on a early 2010's SSI?
  • NMEA 2000 gateway, if possible (I need to check the back of my tachometer) -- the Garmin my boat came with has the capability, and if the tach has the right feeds, this should be an easy setup

What's everyone else have on the docket?

I would definitely put the windlass on the top of the list.  Best thing for cuddy boats.   The dual power frige I would skip unless you have a generator or three batteries.  The refrigerator will drain a battery in a day without a problem.  And unless you are out on the water for multiple days, a cooler works just fine.  Get a Yeti or R-Tic cooler for two or three day excursions.  I use a Yeti cooler and freeze milk gallon jugs and it works great for two days on the water.  The battery charger works great for me.  I have shore power capability too, but I don't dock at a marina at night.  

Good luck.

I have a huge list of things to do.  Unfortunately I decided to go with indoor storage on a rack so I will have no access to the boat.  I had a list of about 50 items last year when we purchased it.  About 30 of those got done (all safety issues or where boat needed to be out of water is where we focused our attention).  The remaining were mostly cosmetic things.  But after this season, I have added about 10 items to the list.  But I can buy parts and tools to get ready.  Items that will be purchased this winter include:  new anodes, new VHF radio, new lower shift cable and a below kits.  Plus any tools I will need to install the above parts.  I sort of regret not doing outdoor storage with shrink wrap and an access door.  Sometimes we get some mild winter days that allow me to work outside on the boat.  Oh well.

2 hours ago, sburke91 said:

In our neck of the woods, we have to be off our docks by 10/15, as they start pulling them at the end of October.  Due to family commitments this weekend, and work travel next, I pulled mine this past Sunday (and then had the 4-hour joy of cleaning the hull).  I still expect to get out a few more times off the trailer, but putting the boat back in the garage officially triggered the time to start thinking about off season upgrades.  On my list this year, for the winter:

• Gas grill and mount (the biggest challenge I have here is figuring out where to store the grill when not in use)
  • Dual power refrigerator (hopefully I can find one that will fit in the factory cooler location, and then do a bit of custom work for the venting that's needed)
  • Additional clip mounting locations for multiple items (anchor light, manual bilge pump, cover center post, etc.) to both gain space and ease access
  • Possibly a real shore power system (still on the fence on this one), rather than just the onboard charger
  • Windlass (I have the bow roller and would love to be able to set and weigh anchor without having to go up on the bow) -- anyone have pictures of the helm station windlass controls on a early 2010's SSI?
  • NMEA 2000 gateway, if possible (I need to check the back of my tachometer) -- the Garmin my boat came with has the capability, and if the tach has the right feeds, this should be an easy setup

What's everyone else have on the docket?

Your list is great!! But you will still need to go on the bow to set the anchor, so I would install foot switches up there too. You should be putting a safely chain/cable on the anchor. Anchors have been known to come loose and dropping from a windless. Also you will need to tie off the rode, the windless should not be taking that kind of load.  

The gateway is a nice, I installed it on my boat after one side of the tech (twin engines) failed. Cost of a new tech was 800, the gateway was 175. But you need the space on your GPS to display the info.  

FWIW - here is how we deal with coolers at Lake Powell (100+ heat). May be overkill for what you are trying to do:

We have a 45qt Waeco dual power fridge/freezer and a Yeti 60

We take 8 rectangular quart juice jugs, fill with water and freeze solid at home

Pack the juice jugs in the Yeti with food and drinks

During the day we put whatever food and drink for that day in the Waeco. Since the boat is running all day the batteries stay charged drinks stay cold

At night: take 6 water jugs out of Yeti, put them in Waeco and turn temp as low as it can go (0 degrees I think). The jugs are still mostly ice So the Waeco doesn't run too hard. I also built a box to that the Waeco fits in with 2" foam insulation (remember to cut vents for compressor airflow). In the morning the jugs are solid ice again batteries are still good to turn boat over. Put them back in the Yeti and repeat taking most melted jugs every night. We can stay out indefinately as we can always turn our jugs back to ice. And with this method the Yeti will keep some cubes frozen for a little bourbon in the evening 

Only thing on the list is a new depth/temp gauge. But thats been on the list for a few years. Maybe this springB).

On 10/4/2017 at 9:32 AM, skidog said:

. Since the boat is running all day the batteries stay charged drinks stay cold

What kind of boat are you on that runs all day? 

I've actually accomplished most of my wishlist already. Lucky for me I've been off from work for six weeks after knee surgery. It wasn't completely debilitating, so I've been able to adjust, re-fit and square away many items. My favorite though was building my bow filler cushion for our 99 2330 SS. I had the plywood, so it only cost me $94 bucks in materials and about 3-4 hours labor...

7 hours ago, Ingalp01 said:

I've actually accomplished most of my wishlist already. Lucky for me I've been off from work for six weeks after knee surgery. It wasn't completely debilitating, so I've been able to adjust, re-fit and square away many items. My favorite though was building my bow filler cushion for our 99 2330 SS. I had the plywood, so it only cost me $94 bucks in materials and about 3-4 hours labor...

There you go......Nice job.

I did my upgrades last year---new speakers and subwoofer.  I actually don't have anything on my list this year which is a first!!  I just finished polishing/waxing and scrubbing the interior and she still looks like a new boat!

I think you would have to state how you boat, a lot of time on the hook with shore power maybe for some of these things.  That size of boat with the size of fridge you can actually get in there, I don't see that being worth it.  Youll need a gen or more batts, fridges like that too aren't always super cold and forget putting warm stuff in there and thinking it will get cold quickly.  Better off getting a nice cooler.  Windlass would be nice but your going to be a grand into it or more, but would be a nice upgrade.

12 hours ago, Phillbo said:

What kind of boat are you on that runs all day? 

246SSI. Kids are either wake boarding or tubing, so boat is pretty much running from sun up to sun down

3 hours ago, soldier4402 said:

I think you would have to state how you boat, a lot of time on the hook with shore power maybe for some of these things.  That size of boat with the size of fridge you can actually get in there, I don't see that being worth it.  Youll need a gen or more batts, fridges like that too aren't always super cold and forget putting warm stuff in there and thinking it will get cold quickly.  Better off getting a nice cooler.  Windlass would be nice but your going to be a grand into it or more, but would be a nice upgrade.

Most of our boating is on a local lake--we have a dock lease (floating dock, at the state marina), and our spot has shore power and water.  Right now I just use the shore power, with the onboard charger/conditioner I put in last year, to keep the batteries topped off while the boat is at the dock.  My thinking is that a dual power fridge, with a small shore power setup, would allow us to keep drinks/etc. in the fridge all the time, and just replenish when needed, as well as use it when we take the boat on longer trips to Lake Erie, etc.

No major need, just convenience, and something interesting to build out over the winter :D

I'm still trying to figure out how to upgrade the boat to transform into a Sig 310 in the summer and then shrink back to the size of a 225SSI in the winter when it lives in the garage!

For me, the depth finder is not working.  I'm hoping for a Black Friday blow out Garmin deal to upgrade the system.  

Radar would be great now that we're going out off the coast. Unfortunately it's way too much for my blood

On 10/6/2017 at 8:25 AM, brick said:

What's an "off-season"???

time to move south...

brick

Do you boat all winter Brick?

I was planning on witerizing and such in the last week of October or first week of November...

4 hours ago, Ingalp01 said:

Do you boat all winter Brick?

I was planning on witerizing and such in the last week of October or first week of November...

Unfortunately, we put the boat up for the winter. We are primarily water sports, so the season is April to October. Winterizing by early November is a wise move - you can count on a freeze by late November or early December, and then everyone is scrambling to have their boat serviced. 

I keep my boat in a garage, so I could probably get away without winterizing, but I sleep better when it is ready for it's winter nap. 

We are going out Thursday. High 80's and plants of sunshine. So the season is not quite over yet...

brick

Brick, I'll be out late this week or this weekend as well. Finally have the boat "finished" in my mind and can't wait to squeeze every last boat worthy day out of this season!

Oh the list...

New Anchor line & chain the old one is like a steel bar,

New GPS, Chart depthfinder

New VHS, with hailer/Loud speaker

Spot light

Battery upgrade

Some motor work

New zincs

Marine head upgrades/ repairs

I think I should have started last month.

mso 431.jpg

On 10/4/2017 at 10:32 AM, Iggy said:

Your list is great!! But you will still need to go on the bow to set the anchor, so I would install foot switches up there too. You should be putting a safely chain/cable on the anchor. Anchors have been known to come loose and dropping from a windless. Also you will need to tie off the rode, the windless should not be taking that kind of load.  

The gateway is a nice, I installed it on my boat after one side of the tech (twin engines) failed. Cost of a new tech was 800, the gateway was 175. But you need the space on your GPS to display the info.  

I have the new anchor from Anchor Lift with an anchor turner, and believe me when I say that it literately sets it's self. I drop it and when it hits bottom, it never moves. I'm on the south western end of Lake Erie, mostly soft black clay weed beds and Zebra Mussels. I was going to get the bow foot pedals, because the anchor some times would seat backwards. I got the turner, now I do it all from the helm. Push a button, it goes down, push another button, it comes up, and if it comes up backwards, the turner corrects it, I don't feel safe hopping over the windshield in 3ft waves at my age anymore. It is by far the best safety convenience piece of equipment that I have added to my girl.

On 10/6/2017 at 9:37 AM, soldier4402 said:

I have a small Danby fridge, without a freezer compartment. But if I set it too cold, it will and has tuned my oranges into orange ice cubes. If I run my 1750 inverter on my deep cycle house battery, it will last 24hrs. Denny.