bcboater

AC condensate rust

7 posts in this topic

The condensate from the AC unit is very rusty in my 310, and I'm planning on pulling the unit out soon to fix the rusty pan.  Anyone have any experience with this job and have any pointers on removal and permanent rust repair?

I had to pull my AC unit out because my blower was going bad. When I removed the unit to replace the blower I took the entire pan off sandblasted it and then painted it with an epoxy paint and then I also painted the bottom 2 inches of the AC unit where there would be any sort of standing water. The unit was very difficult to get out because the only access to the rear of the unit is through the closet. You have to remove the closet floor and squeeze your body in using a mirror to disconnect the hoses and the ductwork. The upper section of the blower were the duct goes in has to be completely removed before pulling the unit out from the dinette access.  It was definitely a winter project and I will tell you that I did get stuck inside the closet when I was trying to take it apart. If you have any form of claustrophobia I would not even attempt it. Once I had it put back together I used insulation to cover the entire AC unit and it has definitely dropped the noise level inside the cabin.  This is the second season that I’ve had this set up and I have had no issues with the unit since and the condensation water going to the shower pump is clean. 

Thanks Supranut.  Exactly what I needed to know.  Was it worse taking it out or putting it back in?

I would say they were both equally challenging due to the limited access. Getting the unit out and removing the hoses was a bit difficult since they were on for over 10 years but then getting unit back in, since you’re working through the inside of the closet you’re working blind half the time.  Also when you remove the compressor and the rest of the parts from the pan, they come out as one whole piece, you have to make sure that you have help so you don’t crack any of the refrigeration lines. After sandblasting the pan I painted it with phosphoric acid to stop the rusting process and then painted it with Aluthane epoxy paint. 

Thanks so much.  One last question, about how long did it take to get it out?

Couple of hours because of the location and awkward position to access most of the unit through the closet. 

So I started the project on Sunday.  It wasn't too bad thanks to Supranut's guidance, however 13 year old water lines are tough to remove from the spuds.  I was planning on adding a little blow dryer heat to soften them up.  Is there any issue with that?