PY

Trim Switch Control

8 posts in this topic

I have a 1998 Bravo III Mercuriser and my throttle trim switch has gone bad.  It will only work to lower the lower unit but not raise it.  I have to use the trailer switch on the throttle handle to raise the lower unit.   I am certain its the switch on the handle. 
I have no idea how to change this switch.  Anyone changed one before? 

You sure it is not the trim limit switch on the port side of your Bravo III drive?

Not sure Wingnut.  It will raise with the trailer switch... The switch on the handle seams broken.  When you push up there isn't much resistance. 

If its the switch, I have one for the quicksilver throttle and I will get it to you for less than its on amazon..... PM me and we can see if it will work for you.

There are a few you tube videos showing the swap, it doesn't look to bad.  I bought a switch and ended up finding a corroded connector.

The trim button will raise the drive to a certain height then stop, from there you use the trailer button, if the trqailer button raises the drive the solenoids are working and most likely the trim limit switch is bad.short the blue/white and purple/white together and the drive should raise all the way with the trim button.

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6A5R3.PDF

Just above the transom plate, lying on the engine bell housing you will see 2 wiring harnesses that pass into the coupler housing and out through the transom. One set is for trim sensor/indicator, and the other is for trim limit. They typically have a small tag on them to identify which is which. Unplug the two wires the are marked trim limit, and jumper the two wires leading forward together. If the trim switch at the helm begin to operate then the trim limit "puck switch" located at the pivot point on the port side of your drive has failed. The wires that are underwater most of their lives tend to break-down over time and the new switch will come with a sealed harness. Not a lot of fun to replace, but doable without removing the drive. Replacement is sold as a set which includes the trim indicator sender also.  W

5 hours ago, Wingnut said:

Just above the transom plate, lying on the engine bell housing you will see 2 wiring harnesses that pass into the coupler housing and out through the transom. One set is for trim sensor/indicator, and the other is for trim limit. They typically have a small tag on them to identify which is which. Unplug the two wires the are marked trim limit, and jumper the two wires leading forward together. If the trim switch at the helm begin to operate then the trim limit "puck switch" located at the pivot point on the port side of your drive has failed. The wires that are underwater most of their lives tend to break-down over time and the new switch will come with a sealed harness. Not a lot of fun to replace, but doable without removing the drive. Replacement is sold as a set which includes the trim indicator sender also.  W

Wingnut I will have to check into this.  I don't know why I would even need a limiter.  I can tell when I have the foot trimmed too high. 

1 hour ago, PY said:

Wingnut I will have to check into this.  I don't know why I would even need a limiter.  I can tell when I have the foot trimmed too high. 

As can I. Just nice to have it there in case someone else is operating your ride. If that's not an issue for you, then by all means, leave it jumpered out. At idle you can run the drive fully trimmed out as the gimbel bearing, coupler, and u-joints could care less, but the drive is extended out beyond the gimbel side support and will not tolerate the twisting moment associated with high engine RPM.  W