SST

Bottom Coating-Natural Marine

22 posts in this topic

For the first 5 years or so, I used Natural Marine-Easy on Bottom Coating.  Great stuff.  I didn't put any treatment on the boat this year because its not in a slip. I am on two wait lists for next season.  I cannot find it. West Marine, which is where I use to buy it, doesn't carry it. Can't find it on-line either [to purchase]. Easy on was so much better to apply. It was like a liquid wax. I've use VS721 but its much more difficult to apply as it is like a paste wax. Apply it, wait for it to dry and then have to remove the glaze. I don't like spending that much time under the trailer. No, I'm not using bottom paint.

Image result for national marine easy on bottom coating

There is this website but I wouldn't make a purchase from it:  http://easyonbottomcoating.com/

There's a phone number on the website.  Give them a call.  The website is old, like an internet time warp, but it says it was updated May of '17.  They probably don't even take credit cards.  

Type it in the search box on the net and there are a number of places that show it. One place shows it for 30 deer.  Denny.

"No, I'm not using bottom paint." Please, tell us how you really feel...........  Now don't hold back now, ya hear.

7 hours ago, Slowhand said:

SST, Try C-ME Sales on 1850 Hertel Av. North Buffalo.  :D 

I wish I had read your reply earlier today.  i was in the area.  But I'll check it out.  Thanks. 

This stuff doesn't actually prevent bottom growth.  What it does is it slows down the growth. And makes it much easier to clean any growth that does form.  I've never let my boat go all season without giving the bottom a little scrubbing during the season. Maybe for a cruiser this wouldn't be a good product for us shorties it works. 

I have searched the internet for this specific product.  I have seen businesses selling natural marine but it's usually everything but the bottom coating. Which is why I came here for possible suggestions. 

14 hours ago, SST said:

I wish I had read your reply earlier today.  i was in the area.  But I'll check it out.  Thanks. 

This stuff doesn't actually prevent bottom growth.  What it does is it slows down the growth. And makes it much easier to clean any growth that does form.  I've never let my boat go all season without giving the bottom a little scrubbing during the season. Maybe for a cruiser this wouldn't be a good product for us shorties it works. 

I have searched the internet for this specific product.  I have seen businesses selling natural marine but it's usually everything but the bottom coating. Which is why I came here for possible suggestions. 

hmm, I may give it a try.  I pull my boat usually once/month and clean the bottom.  If this makes it easier that it's worth a try.

Not to hijack the thread too much, but along the same lines...Has anybody ever tried the Ceramic coating products, such as TopCoat, out there on their hulls. I run across many ads on FB about these types of products with amazing claims. Does anybody have any experience with them?

as a general rule, if you trailer your boat those types of bottom paint are not the best choices as being exposed to the air will start to oxidize and lose the effect you are wanting.  that applies to boat lifts as well.  hard bottom epoxy paints are for long duration in the water without moving (large cruisers that sit at the slip for long periods without use)  Chap boats, sport boats in the water or trailered should stick w/ the ablative paints.  multiple brands and different amounts of copper.  I stand by my choice of the Petitt brand Bright White.  i applied it professionally the first time and i buy (1) gallon every year and simply roll one coat on.  i may give a few areas a 2nd coat such as the water line and the lift bunks but that is it.  until you get close most people don't see the paint at all.  as far as performance loss, i say Meh. who cares if i lost 1-2 mph its all ego anyways, can't tell you the last time i needed that extra 1 mph but the bottom is clean and requires much less work.  Slipping a boat w/o paint is a bunch of acid washes and that works too but is a PITA.

Our 235 has hard coat epoxy white bottom paint, and we exclusively trailer the boat wherever we go. Holding up nice after 3 years.

Restored her 25 yrs ago. Granted, I trailer, but her bottom has never been washed. I put on a copper base product called VCR 17, that I think is no longer available, do to today's regulations.  Denny.

For anyone reading this thread and intending to keep your boat in the water: don't be stubborn, use bottom paint. The OP has a bunch of blisters on his hull from not using bottom paint.

2 hours ago, drewm3i said:

For anyone reading this thread and intending to keep your boat in the water: don't be stubborn, use bottom paint. The OP has a bunch of blisters on his hull from not using bottom paint.

+1, I also believe that you need to put down a moisture barrier first. I was told to do that when I did mine. I did not have nor do I have any blisters. When I bought mine at 7 yrs old, it had black Pettit on it, don't know if that saved her or not.

That is correct Denny. The term "bottom paint" is too generic.

There are two different functions served by two very different types of "bottom paint": moisture control commonly called barrier coat, and anti-fouling paint that discourages marine growth. Often both types are applied as part of mult-layer coating system with the barrier coat being mandatory first coat if the ablative anti-fouling paint is going to be applied later.

I have kept my boat in a fresh water slip for 10 yrs.  I refuse to bottom paint.  I have no blisters.  I do agree about a barrier coat but I despise bottom paint and won't do it.

13 hours ago, drewm3i said:

Just for clarification, the blisters underneath my boat were there long before I took ownership of it. The boat was already 20 years old. Please do not interpret that I am careless with my boat because I don't use bottom paint. They are not the normal 1'x1' blisters that are imminently about to peal away. They are just tiny little pimples. 

Funny thing is, my friend has a boat that is even older than mine. Has a slip for the season. Been there for 20+ years and doesn't even clean it during the season. Doesn't use any form of bottom protection. Has no blisters on it.....anywhere. Please explain why his boat has none and mine does.

I seem to recall [from long ago] a discussion that Chap did something different in the development of the gelcoat that allowed blisters to form.  Nothing to do with bottom paint, barrier or otherwise. The discussion may be on page 120 but I'm to lazy to look for it. Close to 2009.

His boat doesn't have blisters because it is newer and it probably has vinylester resin in the exterior glass layup for the hull.

Your boat does not have this, I think they started adding it around '94. I was not implying this was all your fault, however every boat that stays in the water should have a proper barrier coat and an antifouling paint or be on a lift or one of those new airdock things. A boat with vinylester can still blister and blisters can lead to hull delamination.

test,. sorry, working on photo up loads.

Look up my post on dock talk, Tiny Pics

test,. sorry, working on photo up loads.

Look up my post on dock talk, Tiny Pics