k-dubb

Shims required for 256ssx trim tabs?

12 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have my boat at the shop with the Lenco 12x18 trim tabs for install. The back of the boat is curved where the trim tabs go so the mounting plate does not lay flat.  In other words the 12x18s are too big. I will be ordering the 12x12s instead, but they say even for those they may need to build a shim of some sort because the boat does not have a very long flat spot on the back for mounting.  Did anyone else have trouble finding a flat spot for mounting?  I don't recall anyone else having this issue when reading the topics regarding this. 2007 256ssx.  However, the boat does have slight curve in the back for sure.

Thanks.

It's only about 3/8 's of an inch curve, No need to shime.  The mounting plate will adapt to the curve and not hinder the tabs.

I would question the guy installing them......Most boats dont have flat transoms.

large.fullsizeoutput_f4e.jpeg.00aa19090a12fe790a7f4fbeeecebfae.jpeg

I just finished installing bennett  bolt 12x12 tabs there service after the sale is outstanding . I used stainless and made shims to flush mount mine it did take me a bit of time to fit up and get it correct. Maby google search your question you will find a lot of info on this . try google bennett trim tabs not fitting flush .Goodluck

2 minutes ago, wijeff said:

I just finished installing bennett  bolt 12x12 tabs there service after the sale is outstanding . I used stainless and made shims to flush mount mine it did take me a bit of time to fit up and get it correct. Maby google search your question you will find a lot of info on this . try google bennett trim tabs not fitting flush .Goodluck

On what hull?

I spoke to Lenco and they also said it needs to be flat and that most installers will use starboard material to make it flat.

I installed the 1212E's with the shorty actuators and they fit perfect. Granted our boat is a 236 SSX, but I've never heard of the need to install shims. The tabs work great with no issues. 

I have a 256 and I installed Bennett 12x12s and shorty actuators.  I didn't use shims and it worked perfectly.

I installed Lenco Edgemont's before the summer no shims good bead of 3M sealant, You will love the ride.

The Stern on my boat has a bit of a curve I installed shims on each side to get flush . Predrilled everything used a good amount of 5200 all is done and flush to curve hull. Per instructions from the pros at bennett.  Lifetime warranty thanks to bennett .

53 minutes ago, wijeff said:

The Stern on my boat has a bit of a curve I installed shims on each side to get flush . Predrilled everything used a good amount of 5200 all is done and flush to curve hull. Per instructions from the pros at bennett.  Lifetime warranty thanks to bennett .

What hull style hull do you have? Did you install the 1212E's? 

On 10/11/2017 at 7:37 PM, Daytripper said:

What hull style hull do you have? Did you install the 1212E's? 

235ssi  installed bennett bolt 12x12 tabs 12 volt electronic version