Cazzy

Urgent fuel sending unit

6 posts in this topic

Anyone know if I can use a arm style float sending unit rather than the rod style on my 196ssi. It will fit in the hole and same length but wonder if it has room to raise. Is this why they used the rod style originally? Or just what they chose as OEM. 

I’m not sure if the pattern will line up correctly with the float arm facing inward & away from the side of the tank for proper movement. 

Most of the universal style sending units can be adjusted that way as well.  Loosen the nut visible here, and the top plate should rotate.  

61RxjKo-n-L._SL1500_.jpg

12 minutes ago, TNBrett said:

Most of the universal style sending units can be adjusted that way as well.  Loosen the nut visible here, and the top plate should rotate.  

61RxjKo-n-L._SL1500_.jpg

Thanks TNBrett, appreciate the reply. I’m doing it tomorr and glad to know this before I ripped the package open. 

Remember to measure the float travel up and down before you install it. It should match the tank depth. Also, hook it up electrically -both wires- before dropping it into the tank. You can easily move the float up and down as you watch the dash gauge respond.

Got it done. Works great. It was an aftermarket swing arm type and measured it as per directions. The bolts lined up perfect on the first try with the float arm pointing in & away from the side or back of the tank. WInterized and stored. Won’t get a true indication accuracy until next May or June. 

Geezis that’s a long time thinking about it as I write, but glad I did it now and not think about all winter.