MontreAl

Seized alternator

Greetings boaters,

We are back in FL and our Sig 270.  On start up, I smelled burning rubber. On closer inspection, I noticed the alternator had seized and the belt was slipping. Researching replacement alternators for my '08 8.1 liter Merc and there are apparently two basic choices - new OEM Mercruiser for $240 and new other brand for $80.  

So, what say you all-knowing Chappies?  Which should I buy? 

19 minutes ago, MontreAl said:

Greetings boaters,

We are back in FL and our Sig 270.  On start up, I smelled burning rubber. On closer inspection, I noticed the alternator had seized and the belt was slipping. Researching replacement alternators for my '08 8.1 liter Merc and there are apparently two basic choices - new OEM Mercruiser for $240 and new other brand for $80.  

So, what say you all-knowing Chappies?  Which should I buy? 

If it were me, I'd have the OEM unit rebuilt. Find a local alternator shop and for about 80 beans you are out the door and know you have the proper part. New bearings, rectifier bridge, diode trio, brushes, and integral voltage regulator. Done deal.   W

Totally agree With Wingnut. Had enough Exact replacements that were not. Required a spacer or different bracket.