Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SST

Oil Change-The Extractor

43 posts in this topic

My newer 2016 F-150 is on +/- 10,000 miles oil change schedule. The computer makes the adjustments based on driving style, towing, etc and shows the percentage of oil life left. I am just over 15,000 miles and the oil life left is 25% ... this is after the first oil change was done at around 8,500 miles. Funny thing is that when, at the delivery, I asked the Ford service department about oil change intervals I was told 10,000 but then they still stuck a "5,000 miles next oil change" sticker during the oil change.

Just go by factory schedule for cars, or seasonal SOP for boats.

18 hours ago, soldier4402 said:

Theres also harm in changing it frequently as well, as your never letting the oil break down.

I'm not sure what you mean here.

My 2016 Grand Cherokee also has the "% remaining" measurement that tells me when to change it.  I've gone as far as about 8k between changes and the gauge was still at 12%. I don't think the manual even  has a mileage based change frequency recommendation. When my dealer changes the oil, the sticker they put on the windshield says 8,000 miles. 

2 hours ago, TNBrett said:

I'm not sure what you mean here.

some will say that by constantly putting new oil in an engine is hard on it because its always running new oil that hasn't been broken down.  Oils sweet spot for operating in an engine is not when its brand new.

33 minutes ago, soldier4402 said:

some will say that by constantly putting new oil in an engine is hard on it because its always running new oil that hasn't been broken down.  Oils sweet spot for operating in an engine is not when its brand new.

These individuals obviously have never spent a minute working in lube oil development and production. I think most laymen would be amazed at how much research goes into modern motor oils in an effort to extend drain intervals, and improve fuel economy. Engine manufactur's demands on the industry over the past 20 years had the major oil compounder's scrambling to remain viable and competitive and after 40 years in the industry, I will say with conviction that there is zero downside to changing oil daily, other than cost and inconvenience. 100 hours or less on a marine engine is a reasonable drain and refill standard as engine oil by it's very composition attracts free moisture which is exacerbated in a marine environment. This water combines with by-products of combustion and forms acids over time and an owner must comprehend that a marine engine processes much more fuel in a given hour of operation than does it's automotive counterpart. More fuel processed, more objectionable by-products end up in the engine oil. Engine oil analysis will show these concentrations as being well within acceptable limits, however this standard is based on an automotive application where there is no extended lay-up period. The assumption is that the engine will be brought up to operating temperature at some frequency level, driving out the free moisture suspended in the oil. This just does not happen in a winterized boat engine. Change it in the fall, and splash it in the spring. The moisture will be in the new oil by then but will not be combined with acid from used motor oil. I say these things after over 40 years in the oil industry and my personal experience as a hobbyist as I've spent many a spring day replacing crank shafts, and rod and main bearings on newer vintage boats as a result of surface attack of the lead iridium bearing coating resulting in a spun bearing upon initial start-up.  W

3 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

Oils sweet spot for operating in an engine is not when its brand new.

Not sure where this claim comes from but I'm glad you chimed in on this one, Wingnut.

1 minute ago, Waterfun said:

Not sure where this claim comes from but I'm glad you chimed in on this one, Wingnut.

I tend to ignore posts that begin with "some say", or I heard" but I could not let that one alone. Oil science has been a fascination of mine since the early 70's, and to be a part of the progress made since then has been a fun ride. Nice to be on the front line when Research and Development was field testing new products and I was running full synthetics in both the boats and race cars beginning as early as 1973. Never looked back.  W

1 hour ago, Wingnut said:

I tend to ignore posts that begin with "some say", or I heard" but I could not let that one alone. Oil science has been a fascination of mine since the early 70's, and to be a part of the progress made since then has been a fun ride. Nice to be on the front line when Research and Development was field testing new products and I was running full synthetics in both the boats and race cars beginning as early as 1973. Never looked back.  W

As an engineer, I take a lot of those comments with a grain of salt.   I did a lot of reading up on synthetics and I am huge fan.  Consistent molecular chain properties seam to be a huge benefit and allows us to run longer periods between changes in our cars.  For the boat, I will keep to the once in the fall.  

Years ago, I had a 1996 Saturn SC2. For the first 50K miles or so, the oil level never changed and it was always clean.  But as time went on after that, I could barely get to 1K before it was black and had to keep adding oil. Even adding Lucas oil treatment only boosted it a little bit. Compression on that engine was awful. I'd have to do 90 going downhill so I could maintain 30 going up the next hill with my foot on the floor! haha

But I really did like that car. No dents. And it did very well in deep snow.

My Focus has no oil alerts. Although maybe it has a low level alert but it never gets there anyways.

7 hours ago, Wingnut said:

I appreciate the insight, and like I said and  if I didn't, I change the oil at logical intervals, boats once a year and vehicles at 7-10k.  When manufactures of cars say 7-10k and the oil bottle themselves give a certain standard I tend to believe those as well and not what I see on the internet or some guys experience, just like you when I hear people say "some say", I even get leery of claims of x amount of experience. No attack on you wing as you seem to have valuable experience.  Guess the point is follow what the manufactures say going past that you run a risk, going below that you are wasting time and money, because as far as I know there is no empirical data showing overly frequent oil changes provide a benefit. 

Again I'm not arguing against changing oil, just stating that over changing does not provide a benefit and I don't think there is any evidence to point towards that, beyond its cheap insurance, which I don't buy cheap insurance because its usually not good for anything except separating money from my wallet.  And when we sit down and look at it, how many people have had or known of engines being blown, I really don't know any beyond 25-30 year old engines on things, sure as mechanic you would see a lot people bring broke stuff to a mechanic. 

5 hours ago, soldier4402 said:

I appreciate the insight, and like I said and  if I didn't, I change the oil at logical intervals, boats once a year and vehicles at 7-10k.  When manufactures of cars say 7-10k and the oil bottle themselves give a certain standard I tend to believe those as well and not what I see on the internet or some guys experience, just like you when I hear people say "some say", I even get leery of claims of x amount of experience. No attack on you wing as you seem to have valuable experience.  Guess the point is follow what the manufactures say going past that you run a risk, going below that you are wasting time and money, because as far as I know there is no empirical data showing overly frequent oil changes provide a benefit. 

Again I'm not arguing against changing oil, just stating that over changing does not provide a benefit and I don't think there is any evidence to point towards that, beyond its cheap insurance, which I don't buy cheap insurance because its usually not good for anything except separating money from my wallet.  And when we sit down and look at it, how many people have had or known of engines being blown, I really don't know any beyond 25-30 year old engines on things, sure as mechanic you would see a lot people bring broke stuff to a mechanic. 

Ha, I'm thinking of offering to break in anyone's new oil next season, and send it to them once it has 100 hours on it. Any Takers?    Enjoy the off-season Soldier.  W

2 hours ago, Wingnut said:

Ha, I'm thinking of offering to break in anyone's new oil next season, and send it to them once it has 100 hours on it. Any Takers?

Maybe ... are you going to do it for free or there is a service charge for it? :D

Anytime I hop on someone else's boat I offer to buy the gas or the drinks. Not sure who makes out the best, always seems to be even at the end of the day.

14 hours ago, Wingnut said:

Ha, I'm thinking of offering to break in anyone's new oil next season, and send it to them once it has 100 hours on it. Any Takers?    Enjoy the off-season Soldier.  W

probably would help somebody sleep well at night and at a minimum be cheap insurance.

4 minutes ago, jeffk said:

What offseason....down in Fl this is the best time of the year!

I envy you jeffk!  50 degrees and raining here........boat is put away until first of May!

I went to the hardware store and they carried the same tubing as the extension. The extension is as long as the dip stick so I added another 2 feet to give me some room for error as I cut it down. I won't know how this will work until next year I guess. Tomorrow [Friday] I take it to the barn.......its only 6 more months.