Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChappedAss285

Please allow me to introduce myself

8 posts in this topic

Newbie here:)...to Chaparral and this size boat. Have had small inland lake boats and grew up going on boats my whole life, but have never owned one this size. I can from a a 17’ Sugarsand Jetboat.

Just took delivery Saturday morning on a 2002 285 SSi.  Love this boat! I already have a whole list of questions. Trying to get what I can from owners manual, but not everything is answered there. Or at least I haven’t been patient enough to find it:lol:

The one I will ask here is cuz it just happened yesterday on my maiden voyage. I don’t know if something is wrong or if I did something wrong. Steady alarm went off underway after maybe an hour of on and off travel. The only thing I noticed was the port engine volts were way down around 9/10. It wasn’t like that on my 1 1/2 hr sea trial, nor was it like that on the complete systems survey I had done las Friday. I Let everything charge overnight and getting ready to go for a ride tobduplicate problem. Any thoughts? Mine first time me was bad alternator/regulator, but I have not seen one go so suddenly without showing signs.

DD3BBD31-62C1-4AE7-A9DE-19C88654A06D.jpeg

674ACF9C-2C8D-487A-9F6D-F291C88186FD.jpeg

AE50E1BB-6272-4101-BA99-C5E0EC926228.jpeg

FE82DFEB-3EDD-4AAA-A7FA-06FB4B90709E.jpeg

CE17E249-AB81-47B9-9BB3-176886723AF9.jpeg

A steady alarm signal is reserved for critical alarms, such as drive lube oil level, oil pressure, and over-heat conditions of either engine coolant or exhaust manifold internal temperatures which do not show up on your dash display, and all need to be investigated. The first thing I would do as a new owner is to acquire the OEM Mercriuser manuals for your ride to include the drive, engine, and ECM master manuals. Even while under warranty, an educated consumer can not only get to the route of an issue faster, they can avoid being subject to "credit card manipulation".  W

Welcome to the group.  That is an awesome boat with twins.  As Wingnut indicated, get a hold of the manual.  There are also a listing if you search for the images with what the alarms are.  

Thanks for the welcome! So, next day the battery was still showing low but started engine fine. Alarm came on and I shut it down. Switched from battery 1 setting to battery 2 and volts showed and stayed at 13 and alarm went away. I am still looking deeper since the solid alarm seems to be for serious issues.

On 10/23/2017 at 9:00 AM, ChappedAss285 said:

Thanks for the welcome! So, next day the battery was still showing low but started engine fine. Alarm came on and I shut it down. Switched from battery 1 setting to battery 2 and volts showed and stayed at 13 and alarm went away. I am still looking deeper since the solid alarm seems to be for serious issues.

That is a really nice boat. Should show in the owners manual what battery positions the switches should be in for 'normal' operation. Solid alarm I believe will come on with voltage below 10 volts. EFI engines communicate with their sensors and switches, etc. using voltage, and once battery voltage drops down below say 11 volts, the ECM has difficulties, and thus sounds the alarm.

Seeing you have MerCruiser power, I would check the orange wire on the back of each alternator. Often the ring terminal that attachs to the alternator stud breaks from age and vibration, and thus can't charge the battery. Should this be the problem, ensure you turn the battery switches to off before effecting repairs.

On a side note, I HIGHLY recommend installing SeaDek to your extended and integrated swim platforms; gives even more grip and comfort to knees etc. without getting hot. 2nd best investment I did on my own boat, after installing the ESP, but I see your boat already has the optional factory ESP installed.

One other thing I liked to do on that model was install an OceanAir Skyscreen sunshade and mosquito cover inside the cockpit. Came standard on 290 Signature, etc. from early 2000's and on.

2830 SS and 280 SSi are bow rider versions, and essentially the exact same boat

2835 SS and 285 SSi are cuddy cabin versions, and essentially the exact same boat

http://www.seadek.com/p-242-chaparral-280-ssi.aspx

Close this window

Welcome!! 

As to the Seadek. I had it on my boat and after a 3 years and I had to remove. It stained just from normal use and dark colors will get hot. In year two, I called Seadek and they were no help and they advertise it to be stain resistant. 

Seloc makes a very good engine manual. Well worth the money!!