Garethsspace

Possible New Boat?

9 posts in this topic

So I'm looking at buying a used 1988 Chaparral 200 XLC, among other boats. It's sterndrive is currently not installed, but comes with it and the trailer. It also needs the gauges wired in. xxxx is asking price. Just looking for a second opinion on how much work this boat is going to be to get water ready, how the price looks, and how much work/upkeep a boat of this age is going to be! Attached is a link to the boat!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/130338937692637

Thanks for the help y'all!

Well, the ad answers at least one question:  why was drive out.  But I would look at condition of stringers too.  Can you do some or all of this work your self?  But the out drive mounting could be an issue too.  If he has new transom, is it flat?  Are inside and outside surfaces parallel?  How was the repair made?  If the surfaces are not parallel or flat, you will not get the drive inner and outer housings to mate properly.  You will never get everything to line up and stay sealed.  In which case, the transom work will need to be redone.  

Wiring is going to be a big pain too, in my opinion.   Though some of it should be straight forward on that vintage of a boat.

Personally, if I were in the market for a boat, I would consider it providing the transom and stringers checked out after the repair.  But I can do all the work myself.  I think you would find a bill from a marina way more than boat is worth if you have to pay someone to do the work. 

There's an awful lot of wood to maintain in that boat!  I can't imagine the wooden bench seat would be very comfortable, especially if the water is even a little rough!

A boat that old is going to be a labor of Love or Hate. If this is your first boat I'd keep looking for something thats working so you don't have to be working on it (or Paying someone).

Some dealers might list a working boat for 7-8G's but wont hesitate if you walk in with 3-4 in cash. To get it off the lot.

That boat looks like a project boat where the current owner got in over his head, and just wants out of it now.  I know how you can avoid the same fate.  Pass on this one, and keep looking.  

2 hours ago, Lestat said:

Run , don’t walk,  away from this one.   Time and money bucket

Ditto!