Kes22

Weight Difference Between Brands

23 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I realize this is a Chap board but please grant me a little leeway.  

I will be purchasing a new bowrider between now and next spring and am doing some research between the two biggest brands that are sold in my area (downstate Illinois), Crownline and Chaparral. I really like the Chap but I need to do my due diligence.  I'm looking into a 19' Bowrider and each company produces one. While reading about each boat, I realized that the Crownline was 1100 pounds heavier than the Chaparral (dry weight). The Crownline being 3640 and the Chap being 2540. (on a side note, the Crownline lists their dry weight as "MAX dry weight") This to me is a dramatic difference between boats of the same size. My question is, why such a difference? Should I be looking for heavier or lighter? 

Thanks so much for your thoughts and insight on this matter. 
Ken

Assuming your looking at same size and style then things to look at would be engine packages, deadrise(angle of the hull) more of it means heavier typically.  Options that add weight and general build quality, did they use metal instead of plastic etc.  Typically a heavier boat would mean its probably either better built and or has more options or upgrades to it.  Although I do find a boat of the same size in different brands being 30% heavier a little odd.  Lighter is going to mean needing a lighter trailer and easier to tow. 

If it were me and I'm looking at this blindly I would probably want the heavier boat as that tells either the hull is heavier, better engine package, more otpions or a combination of many of those things.

Thanks Soldier for the insight.  I agree that 1100 pounds difference of same-sized boats is certainly odd.  I'm now wondering if the Crownline is factoring in, not only the dry weight, but the capacity weight as well.  Surely it's got to be something like that.

Do both boats have the same engine/drive package? That might account for some of the difference.

5 minutes ago, Chap243 said:

Do both boats have the same engine/drive package? That might account for some of the difference.

Yes, both offer the say 200 HP Merc and drive

19 minutes ago, Kes22 said:

Thanks Soldier for the insight.  I agree that 1100 pounds difference of same-sized boats is certainly odd.  I'm now wondering if the Crownline is factoring in, not only the dry weight, but the capacity weight as well.  Surely it's got to be something like that.

yeah have to factor in what they are factoring.  If all is equal either the crown is a bunch of useless dead weight or has a lot more boat to it.

There is no way a 19 ft bowrider should have that much of a difference.

Differences can come from build procedures, such as hand laid hull vs a chopper gun which will tend to be heavier.

But not that much.

I dont know heavier means better or not.

There are many new materials used today which lightens the boat.

If you are in choppy waters consistently, heavier may make for a better ride.

Check the weights on some other brands in that size range.

Good luck, years ago I had a Crownline and was a moderator on their forum.

Another thought...Chap numbers seem to be very light.  Meaning, our boats weigh MUCH more than the dry weight they list.  I know it has a lot to do with engine packages, fuel, water, etc.  Just saying different manufacturers may "market" their weights differently.  But that's just a guess.

I'd find out what max dry weight means.   Is max dry weight including engine and fluids?   Is Chaps number without engine and fluids or with? 

Your first problem is that you are looking at a 19ft boat - should be at least 21-22ft. The second problem is, that you are looking at Crownline! :)

I did some similar research comparing a Searay 280slx to a Chap 287. Same size boats and both new models, 2017. Both were rated a dry weight. The 280 was about 1000 pounds more.

Each manufacturer has its own numbers to confuse the buyer. IMO

We had a 20' Caravelle and the in-laws had 20' Crownline, both boats were almost twins. But the details were that the Crownline had NO storage and it sat about 6" lower in the water. When it comes to boating I look at 2 things first; Storage and engine accessibility. 

Get in both and see what fits were. 

I think the published weight of boats is pretty much open to interpretation.  My gut feeling is that the actual weights are much closer than that. 

All this got me curious though, so I started poking around the Crownline site, and noticed a few things.  First off I'm not a fan of the looks of the crowlines, but to each his own.  The finishes do look nice, much nicer than the ones I had been on in the past, and they have a pretty impressive list of available options. The storage however doesn't seem as good as the chaparrals.  The Crowns seem to be rated for more HP than the Chaps, but he Chaps have more passenger and weight capacity.  Pricing is where things start to get nutty.  I compared the 195SS Crownline to the 19 h2o sport.  Both have nationally advertised (no haggle) pricing.  Both boats have the Merc 4.5 200hp non catalyst w/ alpha, and both are listed as "limited availability".  So I did a build on both boats with the 4.5 200hp catalyst w/ the alpha drive (the next step up).  That was an upgrade of 1k deer for Chap and (get ready)..... 12k deer for the Crownline.  I spec'd a tower for both boats while I was at it.  2400 deer for Chap, 5k deer for Crown.  I checked most of the boxes for the Chap, even upgrading to a tandem axle trailer and adding a mooring cover, and then tried to get the Crown optioned as close as possible.  The Chaparral 19 h2o came out to 40K deer and the Crownline was 58k deer.  If you go with the 250hp option on the Crownline, and fully option it out, you can spend over 73K deer on a 19' bowrider.  I'm kind of amazed actually.  

I looked at a 26 foot Crownline and we really like the boat but the cost was just too much so we passed and found a much better deal on this Chaparral. That being said I really liked the Crownline the fit and finish were just as nice as the boat I have but it was 10 years newer. It didn't hurt that the Crownline was black which is my favorite color on a vehicle of any kind so I may be very biased

Some people REALLY do have more money than they know what to do with. 

Others want to buy the most expensive model to showoff.

Still. It is their  money to spend on what they need to enjoy.

There are no Aluminum cans along the edge of roads anymore !!!      What do I do with all the big bags I bought ?    :haha-7383:

On 10/25/2017 at 8:08 PM, TNBrett said:

I think the published weight of boats is pretty much open to interpretation.  My gut feeling is that the actual weights are much closer than that. 

All this got me curious though, so I started poking around the Crownline site, and noticed a few things.  First off I'm not a fan of the looks of the crowlines, but to each his own.  The finishes do look nice, much nicer than the ones I had been on in the past, and they have a pretty impressive list of available options. The storage however doesn't seem as good as the chaparrals.  The Crowns seem to be rated for more HP than the Chaps, but he Chaps have more passenger and weight capacity.  Pricing is where things start to get nutty.  I compared the 195SS Crownline to the 19 h2o sport.  Both have nationally advertised (no haggle) pricing.  Both boats have the Merc 4.5 200hp non catalyst w/ alpha, and both are listed as "limited availability".  So I did a build on both boats with the 4.5 200hp catalyst w/ the alpha drive (the next step up).  That was an upgrade of 1k deer for Chap and (get ready)..... 12k deer for the Crownline.  I spec'd a tower for both boats while I was at it.  2400 deer for Chap, 5k deer for Crown.  I checked most of the boxes for the Chap, even upgrading to a tandem axle trailer and adding a mooring cover, and then tried to get the Crown optioned as close as possible.  The Chaparral 19 h2o came out to 40K deer and the Crownline was 58k deer.  If you go with the 250hp option on the Crownline, and fully option it out, you can spend over 73K deer on a 19' bowrider.  I'm kind of amazed actually.  

Excellent info, thanks for taking time to post!

15 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Some people REALLY do have more money than they know what to do with. 

Others want to buy the most expensive model to showoff.

Still. It is their  money to spend on what they need to enjoy.

There are no Aluminum cans along the edge of roads anymore !!!      What do I do with all the big bags I bought ?    :haha-7383:

I’m really not sure I understand this post. Are you saying I have more money than I know what to do with?

It's a cycumor ... the post is actually funny, cyclops' humor. Carry on ... don't worry.

Well, I will throw in my two cents. Old boat was a 1999 CL 202BR with a carbed 5.0 Alpha drive. Current boat is my 2003 Chap 210 SS with a 5.0 MPI Alpha. The Chap performs better, but that is due mainly to the MPI engine. The Chap is only four inches longer but sits higher out of the water. Deadrise is 20 degrees vs.16 on the CL. The Chap hull design is better but I have to give the finish of the hull and especially the deck to the CL. The Chap rides much better through rough water. I liked the interior design of the CL but finishes were cheaper. Plastic dashes covered with vinyl vs. fiberglass, felt backed vinyl on the seats, overall not as robust as the Chap finishes. The CL did have better engine assess than my Chap, but that can vary by model. Keep in mind, my CL was made in the late nineties and it was a different company then. I think they were regarded as a better quality boat back then. Many of the finishes are still similar but as the years pass, they are less recognizable from the old CLs, as are the newer Chaps from the old ones, for that matter. You can take a factory tour of the CL  plant in West Frankfort. I know of a few people who have gone there and have seen their boat being built.

17 hours ago, Kes22 said:

I’m really not sure I understand this post. Are you saying I have more money than I know what to do with?

Nah, he wasn't referring to you.  Hang around here long enough and you'll understand.  :)

For several years in the 2000's Chaparral made two 18 foot models.  They both could be equipped with the same 4.3 liter v6.  One was the bottom rung series weighing in at 2100lbs and the other was their top series at the time was 3100lbs.  Both the exact same loa but a night and day difference between them.  Still both chaparrals but not an apples to apples comparison just because they were the same length.  You will want to at least compare competing model otherwise you will scratch your head.