Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HoochieCoochie1900slc

New Chap on Board!

12 posts in this topic

Hello All,

New boat (third owner new to me) that I'm happy to have in the family. She's a 1992 Chap 1900SLC with 4.3 merc I/O Alpha One. Engine with low miles. Floors seem real solid and hull in great shape. Gonna run a maiden voyage before the cold comes to Texas and then drain n' wrap her up waiting for the spring. Any advice for a guy that's done outboards but never an I/O.? I'm gonna love it.

img_qjsPiBnLTs949Kl.jpg

Welcome, nice boat.

Re: winterization- read up all that you can on your particular engine and drive. The main thing is to treat the remaining gas and get all the water out of the systems. Change the oils in the engine and drive. If you have any specific questions, ask this bunch, they are very knowledgeable.

Don't be in too much of rush to wrap her up and wait for spring.  As you probably know we get a lot of nice days in fall/winter in Texas that are nice for cruising around on a lake.  It's not unheard of to have a 70 degree plus day in Nov/Dec.  Enjoy!

Trailer the boat at the ramp.

Pull out of the way & REMOVE ALL THE DRAIN PLUGS. Lower the drive to be up & down. Make sure the puddle of water in the lower pump housing DRAINS OUT completely. Trim the drive back up for road traveling. 

You now know NO freezing damage can occur if you forget for any reason..  Takes 3 to 5 minutes each time to save thousands of repair bills. The best habit I have with all the boats as they come out of the water each time.

Even getting senile. I still do it from habit. Never froze one yet in 80 years & unexpected freeze ups while away unexpectedly.

Most all O B were / are self draining ?

NO inboard motor is a self drainer............ Remember ! 

Only you can drain the auto engine in the boat. ............Smokey the Bear,  quote.

Well I took her out for a bit yesterday and she runs like a top. I treated the fuel and let it run through the lines after. I did also notice a puddle when I trimmed the lower unit down so gonna do that each time I bring her in to let it out. I need to see what oil weight the engine uses and pump it out and change it before winterizing. I've heard different about the pink antifreeze.

Leave it in or drain it before storing?

3 minutes ago, HoochieCoochie1900slc said:

Well I took her out for a bit yesterday and she runs like a top. I treated the fuel and let it run through the lines after. I did also notice a puddle when I trimmed the lower unit down so gonna do that each time I bring her in to let it out. I need to see what oil weight the engine uses and pump it out and change it before winterizing. I've heard different about the pink antifreeze.

Leave it in or drain it before storing?

I like to re-fill with the pink stuff as I feel it cuts down on internal rusting, but that's just me because my boat will not see action again for six months. You being in TX might, like jfkirby said,  get out more frequently. If I knew I would be back out in 45 days, might not bother with the pink re-fill, but just drain the block. Ask around and see what works in your geographical area.

WE people & marinas on the US & Canada border, Just drain the water out for the winter. I leave the plugs out for a day Then PUT THEM BACK IN.  I put them in a sandwich bag & on top of the ignition key.  Old guy stuff. 

12 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

WE people & marinas on the US & Canada border, Just drain the water out for the winter. I leave the plugs out for a day Then PUT THEM BACK IN.  I put them in a sandwich bag & on top of the ignition key.  Old guy stuff. 

I'm for sure gonna give it a flush with the pink stuff. I might as well drain it after it pushes the water out.