Trojan

Cleaning bilge and engine compartment

7 posts in this topic

It depends on the type of boat.  If you have it on a trailer there are product you can put in the bilge with some water and tow it home.  Then pull the drain plug and spray it out. I have to use some spray type cleaner and a cheap mop to clean mine since it sits in the water.

You in the water or on the hard?  The best method will vary accordingly. Basically any good grease cutting cleaner will work well. I use an old mop or car was brush to work the cleaner around. Obviously the waste is much easier to remove if the boat is out of the water.

Can you spray gunk liberally around the engine compartment and the cautiously use a power washer to do this?

I use Citrus based bilge cleaner and an old mop.  Where there's any mold (typically all the way in the back under the swim platform) I spray Mold Armor and then hose out.  I try to keep my engine compartment as clean as possible and not smelly.

i like using a heavy duty spray degreaser.   spray it in, let it set, park it on an incline, rinse thoroughly.  if you have a forward bilge you need to do the same there.