KSJ08

$$$ for Winterizing

18 posts in this topic

I have been doing my own 1st on Bayliner & for last 8yrs on FourWinns. Decided to be lazy & have dealer do it. Oil/Filter & Fuel filter, lubed prop shaft. $419. after taxes they charge $390 for V6. . Is this normal charge??? Probably do it myself from here on out.

The money saved is always nice.

BUUUTTT

If they did not do it. Or not do it right ?

Guess who pays for the repairs. Every time.

I winterized my own. Oil and filter, lower unit oil, lube prop shaft, grease coupler, new anodes, lubricate all linkages, antifreeze in water system for sinks, winterized vacuflush, and antifreeze in engine. Takes a few hours, but can get the materials for $150 total or a bit less since I grab them on sale as the year goes on. At my marina, that list of work would run about $1000.

My wife & I now have a " Labor of love vase ". All the money that we save by doing a service we would pay for. But either do it ourselves. Or as my last project required.  I was able to find a very highly rated concrete  repair  mason.  Instead of paying $2,200 or $ 1,500 a day. He was very happy at $ 500 for all the simple masonry repairs on the porch & foundation walls.

So far this year the vase is offering a lot of wonderful dinners out with our friends as guests.

There is a very good "  pleasantness " to doing a task yourself or finding someone qualified to do the work at a fair price.

Enjoy.    :)

At 80 and with a bionic heart. I am restricted to the most simple exertions.  But the accomplishment factor is still strong.

I think I just paid $500 for a v8 basic winterization with an oil change and another $250 to have my dock and my biggest lift taken out.  Fall always cost a few bucks.  

On 10/28/2017 at 1:08 PM, KSJ08 said:

I have been doing my own 1st on Bayliner & for last 8yrs on FourWinns. Decided to be lazy & have dealer do it. Oil/Filter & Fuel filter, lubed prop shaft. $419. after taxes they charge $390 for V6. . Is this normal charge??? Probably do it myself from here on out.

Boats are a want, not a need, I'm glad that I don't have an airplane too.  Denny.

Lets see,

oil change and oil filters and fuel filters  on twin 5.7 Blue water inboards  $75 owner buys materials

Flush, fog, drain and fill 2 engines  1.5 hours @ $60/hr    7 Gal of non-tox,@ $7.50/Gal  , 1 1/2 cans of fogger  $12.00,

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 2:43 PM, cyclops2 said:

The money saved is always nice.

BUUUTTT

If they did not do it. Or not do it right ?

Guess who pays for the repairs. Every time.

Good luck with that every time something breaks

around here you will usually pay 120-150 up to 200 for just winterization and no fluid changes.  Shrink wrap at 10 bucks a foot.  3-400 everything sounds probably about right.  To be honest with the cost being less than 100 bucks and an hours of time I used the saved money for alcohol for the long winter.  I trust my ability and reliability more than some shop to do it correctly. 

I try to do everything myself. The only issue I consistently run into these days is time.  As the kids get older, I have less and less of it. However, taking the time and leaving work early or coming in later to get the boat, drive it to a dealer, then pick the boat up and drive it back to storage, I could have done it myself and been better off. For me the time off work costs more. 

I have the outboard so winterization is basically the same as a 100hr or 20hr service. Quotes for that were $380 to $560. I did it myself in 2hrs having never done it before and a material cost of $140. 

My idea of 'winterizing' is adding fuel to the fuel tank, water to the fresh water tank, Ice to the food and drink coolers. Starting her up and pulling out of the slip for a nice mellow 40 mile cruise to our favorite beach that is always available in the winter (almost never in the summer) and spending a few days enjoying the fact that we have the lake pretty much to our self. 

Only draw back is that the mid lake marine is closed for the winter so it limits our canyon exploring trips. 

2 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

You POOR POOR unfortunate winter boater........... Bless you.    :)

Nah, our friend here doesn't get the joy of seeing the boat for the first time after 6 months and firing up the v8 on muffs after a long winter break to see if the engine has not cracked open. :-)

17 hours ago, Ponyboy96 said:

I try to do everything myself. The only issue I consistently run into these days is time.  As the kids get older, I have less and less of it. However, taking the time and leaving work early or coming in later to get the boat, drive it to a dealer, then pick the boat up and drive it back to storage, I could have done it myself and been better off. For me the time off work costs more. 

I have the outboard so winterization is basically the same as a 100hr or 20hr service. Quotes for that were $380 to $560. I did it myself in 2hrs having never done it before and a material cost of $140. 

To be honest with you I'm the say way, its becoming about time.  Simple things like this actually take more time for me to come home hook up drive 30-45 one way to mechanic, drop off, come back.  And go back again to pick up actually takes more time than doing it myself.

I change all my fluids, but have the marina winterize motor around $200, I look at it as cheap insurance to protect me from the winter.   Then into their storage shed and tucked away out of snow.  In Spring I require them to start it and make sure no issues before I haul home,

My local marina mechanic did mine for the first time this year due to me being away so much these last months. $180 to drain, add antifreeze, fog engine, fuel stabilizer, and change lower unit gear lube.