Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Outnumbered

287 SSX with volvo 380 dp vs merc 8.2 HO BIII

6 posts in this topic

How much difference in performance between the two.

My 280SSI would run mid to high 50's with twin 350 mags w/ BIII's so I don't expect either of these to run that fast.

I know there is 50 hp difference, but the 380 should be significantly lighter, not sure what that means in performance.

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I am looking at two 287SSX's and looking at all angles.

Thanks,

well - assuming price is not a worry and they are equal - go for the extra HP.  no one ever says "man, i wish i had less power" on a boat.  if you are looking at maint., fuel economy, and performance.  then you asking the never ending opinions to start (Merc vs Volvo)

I would just guess that the 380 hp twins will get you consistantly in the mid to high 50's top end and the HO will see you in low 60's assuming all things stock.

After looking at 'Boattest' numbers; a Merc 380hp will get you to 50 mph. My guess a VP 380 might be a little better cause of the lighter engine weight.

A HO with 430 hp will definitely be over 50, but not much. IMO

For what it's worth, my 380hp VP gets me to 52mph on calm water, 80f day. Buddy's 257 with HO version of same engine (430hp) will do about 6mph more in same conditions. So that's about what 50hp does with about same weights, I imagine the 250 or so more lbs of the big block might knock a few mph off that spread.

I am in the process of purchaseing a 2013 287SSX with the 8.2HO.

After hearing from everyone and researching this forum, it is clear that you cant really go wrong with either engine combo.  It came down to warranty and the people I was dealing with.

Thanks for all of the input.

I think your final drive ratio on your out drive will dictate the top end speed as well.  The 287 is a big boat and twins are nice for maneuvering.  One big block will make it easier for maintenance since the twins are really squeezed into the bilge area.