Thumb520

First time doing my winterization

First time doing my winterization on my 2008 244 Sunsuta with Volvo Penta 5.7 GI with SX DP outdrive.  

What I seam to be stuck on is when I put the muffs on to flush out the drive I didn't seam to see water running out.  Only some ( again not much ) water came out from what looks like a big slot above the props.  This model comes with a flush out on the engine, when i hock up the water hose there water ran with out a issue.  

Two questions: Is there a trick to using the muffs?  Can i run AF at the engine or do i still need the muffs to flush it completely through.  

I have a 2010 216 SSi with the Volvo Penta 5.0 GXiC-J, and the manual specifically says not to use the muffs.  Use the engine mounted flush-out port.  Just run your antifreeze through the flush port.

1 hour ago, Thumb520 said:

Thank you !  Do you only run the antifreeze through or do you open the hoses and fill? 

Do you have a open or closed system? Would not want to tell you the wrong thing..........

17 minutes ago, Thumb520 said:

I'm not sure, I would remove them from the thermostat.

Open or closed meaning............. Do you have a heat exchanger with antifreeze or is raw water going though your block? 

Use the engine flush port to supply the block and manifolds with antifreeze, drain the block and manifolds first so that you do not get a diluted antifreeze mixture.

Another method is to drain all water from raw water pump, block and manifolds then disconnect the large supply hose to the thermostat housing and pour your antifreeze directly into the large hose until it flows from the T stat housing and re install the hose. Then pull the manifold supply hoses at the T stat housing , hold the hose upright, and pour antifreeze directly into the hoses, when full reinstall.

Yes to above!! Just an FYI - The reason for doing it that way is because your bypassing a closed thermostat. Other wise you would need to warm the engine up. Make sure you buy the AF made for engines. I would leave the AF in and not drain it. This will slow down the rust from building up inside the engine. 

A closed system is so mush easier.  I just connect to the flush port and when the AF comes out of the exhaust. I wait a few seconds and shut the engine off. It takes about 30 seconds to do and no taking off of hoses. 

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 7:09 AM, Iggy said:

Yes to above!! Just an FYI - The reason for doing it that way is because your bypassing a closed thermostat. Other wise you would need to warm the engine up. Make sure you buy the AF made for engines. I would leave the AF in and not drain it. This will slow down the rust from building up inside the engine. 

A closed system is so mush easier.  I just connect to the flush port and when the AF comes out of the exhaust. I wait a few seconds and shut the engine off. It takes about 30 seconds to do and no taking off of hoses. 

Careful with antifreeze, it should be the pink RV/marine non toxic AF.  Do not be putting the green or orange engine antifreeze in there unless you plan on catching it all in the spring with something disposing of it properly.