SST

Windy day in Buffalo-10-30

5 posts in this topic

Having signed up for a new slip, I drove down to the marina where I'll be tied up and parked in front of the B dock. The winds were already up to 40mph and waves were breaking over the outer breakwall. Although it was choppy inside the inner breakwall protecting the marina, no rollers were noticed. All the boats and docks were stable with minimal movement. This gives me confidence that I'll be able to leave my boat in the water when I take a trip out of town for more than a few days. At the previous marina, I would never leave my boat in the fixed dock if a wind storm like today was coming or if I wasn't in town. 

Here is a short video of where I'm headed next year.  The video starts out looking at the outer breakwall with waves crashing over the top. As the camera sweeps along, the wind turbines and the smoke stacks is the former site of Bethlehem Steel. Then it sweeps over the inner breakwall into the marina. You can see the choppiness but no rollers. There were still boats in the water and a couple smaller than mine. They just sat there in their slip with out any rabid attempt to escape. 

Lake effect rain and snow are forecasted tonight. 3-5 inches is possible in the upper hills south of here. 

39 minutes ago, SST said:

Having signed up for a new slip, I drove down to the marina where I'll be tied up and parked in front of the B dock. The winds were already up to 40mph and waves were breaking over the outer breakwall. Although it was choppy inside the inner breakwall protecting the marina, no rollers were noticed. All the boats and docks were stable with minimal movement. This gives me confidence that I'll be able to leave my boat in the water when I take a trip out of town for more than a few days. At the previous marina, I would never leave my boat in the fixed dock if a wind storm like today was coming or if I wasn't in town. 

Here is a short video of where I'm headed next year.  The video starts out looking at the outer breakwall with waves crashing over the top. As the camera sweeps along, the wind turbines and the smoke stacks is the former site of Bethlehem Steel. Then it sweeps over the inner breakwall into the marina. You can see the choppiness but no rollers. There were still boats in the water and a couple smaller than mine. They just sat there in their slip with out any rabid attempt to escape. 

Lake effect rain and snow are forecasted tonight. 3-5 inches is possible in the upper hills south of here. 

Nice to here and see that your girl will have a good home next year.  Denny.

1000 Islands here ... freaking northeaster with 50 mph winds and heavy rain for 12 hours drove the water into the house in two places during last night. I just patched one spot from the last week rains. I am so ready for Florida ... are we out of the hurricane season yet?

I like that marina for the protection.  The floating docks there are a must.  The water level was up 3' due to winds pushing the lake water east.  

On 10/31/2017 at 0:42 AM, Richard W said:

1000 Islands here ... freaking northeaster with 50 mph winds and heavy rain for 12 hours drove the water into the house in two places during last night. I just patched one spot from the last week rains. I am so ready for Florida ... are we out of the hurricane season yet?

Been on your river, got to feel sorry for the ones that have houses that are about 2 ft. above the normal water levels.  Denny.