WestportNY

2017 Chaparral 287 ssx which Mercruiser 8.2 or 6.2

17 posts in this topic

Looking at upgrading to a 2017 Chaparral 287 SSX.  Currently comparing two boats at the moment, one with the Mercruiser 6.2L DTS and the other with Mercruiser 8.2 DTS.  Would like to know which motor to choose and your thoughts on why.  Our use will be mostly for cruising and some tubing with generally 5 adults. (up to 12 people mostly adults).  

Thanks for any insight.

I have a similar size boat, different brand, and I sure am glad I have the 8.2 and I pull tubes as well. Cruising rpm is about 3,000. I don’t know the cruising rpm in the 6.2, but it’s got to be substantially higher. That’s a big boat for a 6.2, especially if you pull tubes.

11 hours ago, WestportNY said:

Looking at upgrading to a 2017 Chaparral 287 SSX.  Currently comparing two boats at the moment, one with the Mercruiser 6.2L DTS and the other with Mercruiser 8.2 DTS.  Would like to know which motor to choose and your thoughts on why.  Our use will be mostly for cruising and some tubing with generally 5 adults. (up to 12 people mostly adults).  

Thanks for any insight.

I don't wish to muddy the waters, but I have a different view. The only 6.2 litre engine I'd consider for the 287 SSx is the much newer GM LS-series based current gen 5 small block used for the latest Volvo V8-350, V8-380 and V8-430 engines. The latest MerCruiser 6.2L is their own design based heavily off the 1996 and newer GM 5.7L cast iron small block V8 engine...

Volvo 6.2L engines are all aluminum, (300 lbs. lighter than 8.2L) with variable valve timing, closed cooling, direct injection, 6-bolt main and easier to winterize and maintain. In fact, I prefer the new 6.2L Volvo to the old school GM based big block used by MerCruiser for their 8.2L versions.

I can't find the original video Volvo had when they first introduced the V8-380 and V8-430 but they handily beat the 8.2L engines for hole shot, mid range and fuel economy. I was skeptical until I drove those engines for the first time. Always power on tap. (comparison video had identical Formula boats with competing 380 hp engines)

The only things I don't like vs the MerCruiser offerings is louder exhaust noise and abrupt harshness when shifting into forward or reverse. Recommend taking one for a drive to see if those 2 cons are a factor. Exhaust is louder on the Volvo as the exhaust partially comes out from the rear of the cavitation plate, and and Volvo made a change to their cone clutch design about 5 years ago so far as I recall.

NOTE: EVC option IMHO is a must have to help make throttle transitions smoother especially for water sports. If it comes down to cost, than I'd go Volvo V8-350 vs MerCruiser 6.2L 350 hp.

I think if I were buying a new boat right now, I'd seriously look at the Volvo 430.  I drove a 277 w/VP 380 and I was impressed.  It had strong pull thoughout the power band.  I'm a big block fan but that engine ran nice

Thanks everyone for your insight.  More to think about... One issue with the volvo engine is I would have to find another dealer as the one I'm currently working with will only order it with the Merc. 

The 430 is more than I will need, would love it but just not an option at this time for us.

10 hours ago, WestportNY said:

Thanks everyone for your insight.  More to think about... One issue with the volvo engine is I would have to find another dealer as the one I'm currently working with will only order it with the Merc. 

The 430 is more than I will need, would love it but just not an option at this time for us.

Smart move, and the 430 VP requires premium fuel....Just saying

On 11/7/2017 at 10:49 AM, WestportNY said:

If you're happy with your current dealership, I'd stick with the Mercury.  Even if you like the Volvo better, having to go out of your way for service and warranty probably isn't worth it.

2 hours ago, crvtt771 said:

If you're happy with your current dealership, I'd stick with the Mercury.  Even if you like the Volvo better, having to go out of your way for service and warranty probably isn't worth it.

I always say "pick your dealer, then pick your boat", so I'd agree with CRVTT's comment.    As far as engine size, I think they are like TV's.  You can never have one that's too big!! :) 

It's a big boat and it has a big fuel tank and it can hold a lot of people.  Just saying make sure you have the power you need so you don't have any regrets. 

On 11/3/2017 at 7:43 AM, Shepherd1 said:

Volvo 6.2L engines are all aluminum, (300 lbs. lighter than 8.2L) with variable valve timing, closed cooling, direct injection, 

I can't find the original video Volvo had when they first introduced the V8-380 and V8-430 but they handily beat the 8.2L engines

The only things I don't like vs the MerCruiser offerings is louder exhaust noise and abrupt harshness when shifting into forward or reverse. Recommend taking one for a drive to see if those 2 cons are a factor. Exhaust is louder on the Volvo as the exhaust partially comes out from the rear of the cavitation plate, and and Volvo made a change to their cone clutch design about 5 years ago so far as I recall.

NOTE: EVC option IMHO is a must have to help make throttle transitions smoother especially for water sports. 

I don't wish to muddy the waters, either, but I'd be a little hesitant about first year direct injection engines, seeing what's happened in the automotive world. Carbon build up in the intake tracts due to no wash down of the intake valves. Car manufacturers are just starting to get a handle on this, and they're not battling the constant high cylinder temps found in a boating environment (constant high load operation). Interested to see what happens after a few hundred hours of use.

Curious about the throttle response difference EVC vs non? Driving my buddy's 257 with V8-430 and EVC his throttle is just as touchy as mine at low rpms, like a hair trigger, takes a lot of practice compared to the Merc cable throttles I was used to. Is EVC supposed to be less touchy?

And I agree about the engagement clunk, my 2014 V8-380 non EVC will clunk every now and then when engaging gear, his doesn't do that.

Extra exhaust noise: when accelerating hard, I think that's what you're referring to? Midrange under full throttle can be a tad noisier than a Merc, but cruising speed is no louder from what I can tell.

Here's that video you were referring to: